Tell me about your experience with the Arterial Blood Gas test !

Wishing_Well
on 1/31/13 6:51 am - Urbana, OH
RNY on 04/08/13

Just about all of us have surrendered to the dreaded Arterial Blood Gas test.. If you had the test please tell me your story. I will be having this test next week and I want to know what I'm up for.

Did it hurt as bad as folks claim.. ?

Thanks in advance, Hayley

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/31/13 6:58 am

It hurt, but I've had worse pain from all kinds of other things. The pain was deep in my wrist, a sort of ache. And it faded in a couple of hours.

The technician performing the test offered me something topical for the pain but warned me it wouldn't mask much of it, so I declined. I think she had a fairly light touch. Really, it wasn't that bad.

Good luck

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/31/13 6:59 am - OH

I don't know how bad folks claim it hurts, because I did not know anyone who had one done before I had mine, but it definitely DOES hurt!  The pain, however, is fairly short-lived and does not require pain medication other than perhaps some Tylenol for lingering discomfort afterward.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Stephanie H.
on 1/31/13 7:00 am - OK
RNY on 02/12/13

It hurts like h*ll!!!!!! I had to have one done when I ended up in emergercy with CHF.  The wanted another and I refused, the nurse told me I could refuse!

Wishing_Well
on 1/31/13 7:04 am - Urbana, OH
RNY on 04/08/13

What is CHF ?

Wishing_Well
on 1/31/13 7:05 am - Urbana, OH
RNY on 04/08/13

Congestive heart failure maybe lol ?

Stephanie H.
on 1/31/13 7:43 am - OK
RNY on 02/12/13

LOL Yes it is congestive hear failure, sry...

LN040768
on 1/31/13 8:47 am - Fairless Hills, PA

they did mine after i was under in surgery. i woke to a super big purple bruise on my wrist

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

avidreader
on 1/31/13 9:55 am - Cary, NC

Unfortunately it does hurt like crazy.  On top of the pain I had ladies in TRAINING trying to draw my blood.  After 3 attempts I lost my patience.  I  looked at the person overseeing the trainees and told her either she did it, and she only had 1 chance, or I was leaving and she could explain to my surgeon why the tests were not done.

You will make it through and it will be well worth the pain to get the approval for the surgery.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
VintageChick
on 1/31/13 12:28 pm
I've drawn many ABGs as part of my career. I always warn people it hurts worse than a regular blood draw, but after we're finished, many have had many have said it wasn't nearly as bad as they anticipated. It's been described to me as feeling like nothing more than a pinch or tingle to an ache to a burning sensation. I've never had anyone tell me it was unbearable.

A good collector will take the time to really feel for the pulse first, then make a nice smooth quick stick, get the sample and be out in a matter of seconds. Pressure will be held for 5 minutes at the puncture site immediately following the draw.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views