Chinese Food

KathyS28
on 2/5/13 4:52 am - MA

My daughter wants to go out for her favorite food, is there anything there I can eat I am 3 months out. Wanted something a little more flavorful than steamed chicken. I don't do seafood. 

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Neen L.
on 2/5/13 4:56 am - Arlington, VA

Hi there Kathy!

If you don't want a steamed dish to be too plain, you can try what I do. When we order Chinese food, I order a steamed dish of either chicken and vegetables or shrimp and vegetables and ask for some garlic or kung-pao sauce on the side. The people at our local takeout place have always been more than accommodating. That way I can control the amount that goes into my food. Two tablespoons is always more than enough to get that nice flavor without overdoing the salt, sugar, and calories.

Egg drop soup and cold spring rolls are also really tasty, safe options.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

KathyS28
on 2/5/13 5:19 am - MA

Great idea thanks 

Sherrie P.
on 2/5/13 6:15 am
RNY on 02/06/13

My favorite Chinese restaurant has a diet menu - and they have a steamed chicken & spinach dumpling. Eating the insides mostly is high protein.  They also do these killer steamed green beans.  A lot of places will make you things not on the menu if you ask. Sauce on the side --- just a dab will give you flavor on your steamed chicken, but then it wasn't cooked in it.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 2/5/13 6:43 am
RNY on 01/10/12

How about cashew chicken? 

Can you handle spices? I like Kung Pao chicken, but that might be too much if you're stomach is sensitive. 

Beef and broccoli is pretty mild, not sweet, not spicy. 

I like Happy Family, but it does have seafood in it.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Adrianne_Dawn
on 2/5/13 7:00 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12

Stay away from anything breaded...I'm 8 months out and I don't dump but it makes my stomach upset. Plus high calories anyways.

I'd go with the above Cashew chicken or Beef and brocolli with a little rice. If you can even handle beef yet.

thynnlynn
on 2/5/13 7:07 am - MI

I would just like to add something to this from having a failed band and never knowing what, if anything might stay down.

My husband and I like to go to the Chinese buffets, as we like a variety.  I was sick of paying and then visiting the bathroom.  So.....I ordered a buffet to go and filled my styrofoam container with an assortment and got a cup of egg drop soup.  I would eat the soup that always went down and tiny bit of what was in the container.  I would go home with an almost full container that fed me for a couple of days.  Especially for those of you that are far out, this turned out to be a great idea for me.  I did not feel like I was throwing my money (literally down the toilet).

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

BWB
on 2/5/13 10:55 am

I do this also.  Our Chinese buffets are pretty inexpensive but my DH and I can have lunch on my left overs.

rbb825
on 2/5/13 3:59 pm - Suffern, NY

you are lucky, our buffets are really expensive around here so I stopped going.  Since I eat so little and you cant take anything home with you.  I also tend to overeat and then get sick  - it isnt worth the money.  The last time I went with a friend of mine for a buffet at dinner time and this was during the week - it was $12.95 - if you go on the weekend, it is $14.95.  Granted the chinese buffets here have alot more than just chinese food, last time I went they had peel and eat shrimp, crab legs, a few types of salmon.  This was also a smaller one and it had 4 long stations of hot foods (about 10 feet long), 1 of cold food and 1 for desserts. 

If you go the larger one on the weekends - they also have numerous types of shrimp, the crab legs and on holidays they have lobster.  The problem is that I like too much and that is why I wont go because I get sick from eating too much.  I have a terrible stomach

LN040768
on 2/5/13 11:48 pm - Fairless Hills, PA

oh i like that idea. i am out only 3 weeks but was thinking about it. my family likes to go to the chinese buffets but now that i had surgery, they feel they cannot go anymore. i keep telling them we can go i will just eat before we go. i didnt tell them but i LOVED the buffets. this way i can still eat with them and not feel like i paid $13 to eat about 4 oz. thanks for the idea.

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views