Citrate of magnesium

countrygirljess
on 2/23/13 9:49 am
I'm 4 months out and been having real bathroom issues. I take 2 stool softeners a day and at least one Fiber Choice. But still have hard stools. About 30 minutes ago I drank about 3 ounces of Citrate of magnesium. Now my pouch is hurting!!! It's not bowel cramps, it's my pouch! Anyone have any info on this? I did eat dinner about 90 minutes ago. Just half a chicken quesadilla & refried beans. But it's not a full pouch feeling, it's more a hurt. Anything? Anyone? Thank you in advance!

Jessica

65rosesmom
on 2/23/13 9:53 am

Isn't that citrate stuff carbonated?  Maybe the carbonation is causing you difficulty.  I can't drink carbonation at all.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

countrygirljess
on 2/23/13 10:00 am
It is and you might be right, but I have had some carbonation and it didn't bother me before? Maybe this time it is just bothering me? It's starting to subside a little, but I'm laying flat on my back & being very still I didn't think about that, thanks for replying!

Jessica

Bcast4
on 2/24/13 2:45 am

Mag Citrate is pretty harsh. I used to cramp bad after i took it. I haven't used in since my surgery and I probably won't. Just try drinking some water when you can to flush in on thru your colon. Hope you feel better soon.

countrygirljess
on 2/24/13 7:17 am
I felt better after about an hour. I won't ever try that stuff again!!! That's one thing I have learned, if my pouch doesn't like it, it tells me & I don't do it again!! Hehehe.... I'm having serious bowel issues, but I'm just going to call my surgeon this week & see what he says, thanks for the feedback!

Jessica

Caidkin
on 2/24/13 10:41 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
It's so crazy you just posted this! I had the EXACT same experience tonight! I have been so bound up and tried a half a bottle of the citrate...yikes, right away I was not well. It felt like I was kind of dumping. I wonder if there is a tonnnn of sugar in it to offset the real taste. I don't know...but yeah not doing that again!

I am having the worst time w constipation too! I don't know what to do. I'm taking 1 extra strength colace, 1 mag. Citrate pill a day and a cap of miralax and can only push out a nugget! It's terrible. Also in the last 4 days I did two double doses of milk of mag and a enema. What else can I do!?!?
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/24/13 12:54 pm - OH

Add some fiber to your diet (since the lack of fiber is one of the primary causes of the constipation in the first place)!!!  It is much easier to avoid the problem than to try to throw a bunch of drugs at it to try to fix it.  Even if you are too early out to eat veggies that are high in fiber, there are things that people can have even on a puréed diet (e.g., beans, peas, bananas, natural applesauce).  You can also get Benefiber powder (Walmart has their own generic version, too) that is 100% tasteless and dissolves completely in any liquid.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Caidkin
on 2/26/13 10:43 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12

Thank Lora....I really need to concentrate on that!  There is a definite correlation to my constipation and my stalls.

Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!