New with Questions!!!!

michellemuss
on 3/14/13 7:03 pm

Hello,

I am new to this board and have a surgery date of 9 April 2013.  At this point i have to start the liquid diet on the 25 of this month to prep for surgery (Really nervous about having this done).  Any advice/comments that anyone could give would be great!!!

I would like to know does your stomach still growl after the completion of the surgery? 

Thank you

artroxy blue
on 3/14/13 8:35 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! kiss

The first three days will be hard, but once you get over that hump, it will get easier. As for the shakes, I had a few different flavors to use so I didn't get bored. Sample sizes are great for trying out different flavors, if you haven't done so already. Everyone's liquid diet is a little different, but if you're able to eat other things, like SF popscicles, soup, salad, SF Jello and the like, it will make the liquid diet much more tolerable. If you can, get some Unjury Chicken Soup flavor to have on hand. After surgery, the sweetness of the shakes was unbearable so it was nice to mix in other savory flavors. You'll figure out what you like, so work with that. 

After surgery, yes, your stomach will growl. LOL Mine still growls on occasion so I've gotten used to that. I know it's not from hunger--it's just from things working their way through my system. 

debbie A.
on 3/14/13 9:22 pm - inland empire, CA

Good morning. I just had my surgery on march 12,2013. I have not been hungry since my surgery. Ive forcing water diet snapple down. Maybe since i am still swollen i dont have room to be hungry.

poet_kelly
on 3/14/13 9:41 pm - OH

My stomach still growls.  Actually, it's louder than it used to be.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KendraB1
on 3/14/13 11:41 pm - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
On March 15, 2013 at 4:41 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

My stomach still growls.  Actually, it's louder than it used to be.

Mine too! And it is not even from hunger, it just likes being loud!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/14/13 9:44 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

Here's my best tip:

Call all your prescribing docs now and make appointments to come in before your surgery. If you can't get an appointment, at least leave messages to have them call you. You need to make sure all your meds are set up for after surgery. You won't be able to take any extended release (XR) or sustained release (SR) meds after surgery, so they need to be switched to regular versions. And some doctors may take you off some meds right away.

For example, my psychiatrist switched my Wellbutrin XR to regular Wellbutrin, and now I take it 3 times a day instead of once a day. And my endocrinologist took me completely off Victoza starting the night before surgery. She had me stay on Metformin for a while after surgery. And my blood pressure meds got changed too.

Also, get some samples of protein powder and try them out. Don't buy big jugs until you know what you like. I recommend the vanilla and lemonade flavors of Syntrax Nectar, because you can add other flavoring to them without having to buy lots of different flavors of protein powder.

Jello will be your best friend while you're on liquids. I would put the kettle on at night and make a cup of tea for right away and my Jello for the next day.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

karenp8
on 3/14/13 11:29 pm - Brighton, IL

My stomach still growls after surgery,but not really for hunger. Now I notice it making growling noises after I eat as the remnant stomach releases digestive juice into the intestines. Sometimes it is pretty loud!