surgery without complications and to do or not to do the first 3 months after surgery

maryottawa
on 3/18/13 3:02 pm - Canada
Hello My surgery is scheduled for May 2. I need to do 3 week optifast. I would like to know your secrets ;) to have a surgery without complications, or maybe they should not have done. Please share with me your experiences. and any recommendation is welcome.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Dee.spunk
on 3/18/13 3:40 pm - Sacramento, CA
The best advice I can give you is just follow your doctors plan, drink your liquids and walk from the very beggining. They had me walking 2 hours after I awoke from surgery. It helps get rid of any gas you may have caught inside you. And, I think most importantly, stay positive!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

maryottawa
on 3/18/13 10:49 pm - Canada
Thank your Dee

scarlettbegonias
on 3/18/13 4:53 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Like Dee said walk! Even if its up and down the same hall and slow and uncomfortable it helps!

As for complications, they sometimes happen and it has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do, they happen to young people, old people, lightweights, super heavy weights- anyone can have complications, my best advice is to go into this aware that you could have complications so if something does go wrong you're not completely blindsided by it.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

maryottawa
on 3/18/13 10:51 pm - Canada
Thank you scarlet. I hope todo have a surgery out complication

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/18/13 9:30 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

I did research and picked a surgeon with the best record of no complications. That's my best tip.

Walk walk walk and drink drink drink after surgery.

Protein protein protein. Find a protein powder you like. I recommend Syntrax Nectar vanilla and Roadside Lemonade, because it's easy to add other flavors to them for variety. 

Greek yogurt is a wonder food. TONS of protein, and you can add protein powder to it for even more protein. I eat plain Fage yogurt with vanilla protein powder and fruit or a Crystal-Lite type packet for flavor. 

Don't try pushing the rules. Eat what you're allowed when you're allowed.

If you smoke, quit. Seriously.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

maryottawa
on 3/18/13 10:53 pm - Canada
Thank you. Your give me really nice and important advices.

Mary Catherine
on 3/18/13 10:50 pm

If your plan says it is OK to eat something and that food makes you sick, then don't eat it for a while.  Give yourself enough time to heal.  Vomiting is not normal

Walk because too much sitting can cause blood clots

Drink all of your water

Drink protein shakes even if you don't like them and your surgeon says you don't have to

Take your vitamins

Don't drink with meals and for 30 minutes after eating

maryottawa
on 3/18/13 10:57 pm - Canada
Thank your white dove. Your recomendations will help me.

bbearsmama
on 3/19/13 4:38 am
RNY on 02/28/13

My biggest piece of advice would be to use your incentive spirometer in the hospital to do your deep breathing exercises. I was lax about it and ended up BACK in the hospital with pneumonia. That was no fun at all!!

Good luck!

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6