Malabsorption and Vitamins

SoCaPinkLady
on 3/19/13 1:02 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

When the Malabsorption ends, which I read on another thread can take several years or roughly 30 months do we still need to take so many vitamins? I'm just curious  if at some point our bodies will absorb all the vitamins in one dose.

Lori                               

poet_kelly
on 3/19/13 1:07 am - OH

We do still need to take vitamins.

What ends is the malabsorption of macronutrients, which are things like fat, protein and carbs - things with calories.

The malabsorption of micronutrients, which are things like vitamins and minerals, doesn't end.

That's because micronutrients are only absorbed in specific spots in the small intestine, some of which have now been bypassed forever.  In addition, we need a certain amount of stomach acid to absorb some micronutrients well and the amount of stomach acid we have is usually reduced forever.

Macronutrients, however, are absorbed all through the small intestine.  They are absorbed by these finger-like things called villi.  As our body adapts to our surgery, we grow more villi, which is why the malabsorption gradually goes away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SoCaPinkLady
on 3/19/13 1:14 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Thank you Kelly!!

Lori                               

Kim S.
on 3/19/13 2:59 am - Helena, AL

Thus concludes the responses as Kelly ha**** the nail on the head!laugh

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 394 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?