Does anyone take Cymbalta?

Katie K.
on 3/22/13 9:02 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I'm pre op, and a post op from my program said I can't take it because it would sit in my pouch and cause problems.

I've been on pretty much everything else. My depression/anxiety is hereditary and not linked to my weight, so it's not going to go away after surgery.

I'm also concerned because it's in a capsule. Does that dissolve? It's delayed released so I don't know if I can just break it open.

I plan on asking the professionals when I have my appointments, but I thought I'd ask here if any of you have experience with it.
poet_kelly
on 3/22/13 9:09 pm - OH

It will not sit in your pouch.  You won't have a pyloric valve anymore.  Basically, there will be a little hole at the bottom of your pouch where it connects to your small intestine.  If you swallow a pill with a little water, it will go right into your small intestine.

Capsules do dissolve, easily.  They are usually made of gelatin.  You know, just like Jello.  It is warm and wet in your pouch.  You know how Jello dissolves easily in warm water?  So will capsules.

However, we do not absorb extended release meds well.  They are designed to be absorbed over a 24 hour period, but since our digestive tract has been shortened, meds don't stay in our system that long.

Does Cymbalta come in a non-extended release form?  many  meds do.  I had to switch from Effexor XR to regular Effexor, and take it three times a day instead of once a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louy
on 3/22/13 11:10 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

I take cymbalta and my dr hasn't said anything about it. 

Ladytazz
on 3/23/13 12:27 am

I was put on Cymbalta at about 6 months out.  My doctor was aware of my surgery and gave me a slightly higher dose then he would of.  It seems to be working, along with Wellbutrin.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lisapo
on 3/23/13 1:35 am - WI

I take Cymbalta. I do open the capsule and pour the contents and my tongue and swallow. My psychiatrist had me start taking them this way a couple of months before surgery because sometimes people have stomach irritation if they take them this way. I have had no problem whatsoever taking them this way. I am six months post op now. I would talk to your doctor but maybe just try it out and make sure it doesn't upset your stomach pre surgery and if it does make a change before surgery so that you are now dealing with trying to make that change after surgery. I hate for my pysh meds to get messed with because I hate, hate, hate when I get into one of those black pits of hell depressions. I am actually not scared of many things in my life, but I am scared of depression.

Caidkin
on 3/23/13 2:27 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
I take cymbalta ER. I've had no problems whatsoever! The transition after surgery was great! Good luck!
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
mcclellandjulia
on 3/23/13 10:21 am - Pineland, TX

I was taking Cymbalta but had to switch to another med due to pouch irritation, I'm doing much better on the new meds cause I actually take them since they don't irritate my pouch.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 3/23/13 2:11 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I'm 7 months post op and I haven't had any problems taking Cymbalta (I've been on Cymbalta since 2004).  I never had any problems swallowing it either since the day of surgery.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Linda K.
on 3/24/13 3:58 am
RNY on 08/01/12

I am 8 months out and have been swallowing mine since I came home from hospital, no problems.

plyn

lyn

Most Active