Hello everyone....new here

Lisa82
on 3/26/13 3:18 am

Hello! I am new here and just getting started on my weight loss journey. I had my first consult with Dr. Shin last week. He definitely helped ease a lot of the anxiety. I went in wanting the band but he recommended the RNY for health issues, but left the final decision up to me. I am researching both and leaning toward RNY. A cousin has had RNY and has done great two years out and she will be with me every step of the way. Matter of fact, she went with me to the first consult.  

The ball is definitely rolling as I am scheduled for a EDG April 19. I am more nervous about that at the moment then I am the actual surgery. I guess I will have a major case of elephant butterflies once a date is set for that. Any suggestions on how to calm my nerves? Usually I eat but well, am already cutting down, I have lost 20 lbs so far by doing just that but am afraid I will put it back on....yep I am an emotional eater. HELP!!!!!!

Katie K.
on 3/26/13 5:06 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Do something with your hands. Do you have a hobby? I've found that keeping my hands busy helps to keep my mind off of things.

Kim S.
on 3/26/13 5:35 am - Helena, AL

Welcome! Please spend some time researching VSG (vertical sleeve gastectomy), DS (duodenal switch) and RNY (gastric bypass).  Although some have been successful with the band, I'd never recommend it as it has the lowest success rate of any WLS.  Look at the pros and cons for each surgery and decide which will help your issues long term and fit your lifestyle best.

There are surgery specific boards on OH that can assist in your research.  The best advice I got in my early days was to look at and understand each surgery so you can make an informed decision.

We are here to help.

Lisa82
on 3/26/13 9:14 am

Hi Kim! I have researched all of my options and am continuing to do so. I think my head is going to explode with all the information that is stored in it..lol! I plan to go into this knowledgeable and make an informed decision. One thing I know for sure at this point is I need to do this for me, my health, my life.

thynnlynn
on 3/26/13 7:17 am - MI

Welcome!

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

MsBatt
on 3/26/13 7:36 am

Like Kim S. I strongly urge you to also research the VSG/Sleeve and the DS/Duodenal Switch. Both of those procedures leave you with w fully-functional stomach and the ability to still take NSAIDs.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views