11 DPO won't see surgeon until 18 DPO liquid diet?

MichelleNC
on 3/28/13 6:09 am

Ok so my surgeon's office scheduled me for 9 DPO follow up they called and said no way that is to soon we have no idea why she did that. So we can see you on the 4th. Ok great but I realized wait I will be on a liquid diet for 18 days. I am driving myself crazy here wanting some soft foods. I have done fine with liquids no problems going down and I am getting in my 64 oz and trying to get to 72g of protein but that is hard some days.

So I am not waiting until 18 DPO (did I make up my own term days post op LOL) to start some soft foods do you think it would be a problem if I had some tomorrow at 12 days? I see some people go home on them but this is my surgeons protocal. I feel like a jerk because I keep saying to myself this is just 3 more days compared to the rest of your life it won't matter. But the other half of me is like why feel like crap if you can have some soft foods it is just 3 days.

Any advice and did you start out on soft foods earlier?

I have been following his plans to the T but this time I just feel like I need to wavier my mind is driving me crazy and I want something besides propel, water, chicken broth, and protein shakes.

Thanks

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

cajungirl
on 3/28/13 6:24 am, edited 3/28/13 6:24 am

Can you call and ask?  You're right some plans allow choices much earlier than others.  My plan was very liberal from many and it worked for me, however, I would never tell you to go against your plan.

18 days is a long time on liquids, give them a call!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

RainbowRN
on 3/28/13 6:26 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I have really been doing my own thing since I got home and I thought that I was going to get in trouble with the doc but when I saw him last thursday he said go ahead and advance my diet as I am able to tolerate.  I'm 2 weeks post op and i have been eating yogurt for almost a week.   I have already tried chili and refired beans.  I am able to eat chicken salad with no problem.  I can hold down pretty much whatever.  If it wasn't for this damn thru**** would probably actually taste good too.  But anyways, I know that everyone says to follow your surgeons plan which is true but everyone does something different :)   Good Luck to you! 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Pittsteelers
on 3/28/13 6:36 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
Before I had my surgery, I was given my doctors plan from liquids all the way thru his long term recommendations. It said weeks 1&2 liquid diet, weeks 3-6 puréed food, weeks 7-9 soft foods and weeks 10+ starts long term. Idk if you met with a NUT and discussed all the stages, or if your doc office does it differently. I don't see any reason for you to not move onto your next stage if you have a diet plan to follow.

MichelleNC
on 3/28/13 6:37 am

Ok so I called and the NUT at the surgeons office said MONDAY go for it cottage cheese, oatmeal, yogurt etc. Anything you can eat on a spoon. But not before Monday. He said go get yogurt put it in my protein shakes to make them thicker. Go get various soups and strain them and eat the different broths. Lordy I have been on a liquid diet for almost 5 weeks this is for the birds! He said don't worry Michelle the light is at the end of the tunnel you can do it......I am going to do it. I will follow what they say because my biggest fear is having a complication and them saying see we told you so don't eat before Monday.

Easter should be a delight! HAHA

Michelle

gbtesq
on 3/28/13 6:41 am, edited 3/28/13 6:44 am
RNY on 12/10/12

I am not one to counsel you against your plan.  But, I advanced myself as I could tolerate it.  I didn't go too far though. However, when I was comfortable with and tolerated fluids well, I tried some bland soft foods like yogurt, SF pudding, etc.  On the other side, I probably lingered a little longer on soft foods before advancing to other foods .... out of fear.  In my opinion, sometimes we can gauge our own bodies better when the stakes aren't high.  As long as you're not running to eat rocks, peanuts, and bacon cheeseburgers, I don't see how you would do too much damage possibly experimenting with a spoonful of soft foods now (since that's probably all you can do anyhow).  Try one soft food one day, if you feel guilty.  If it settles, you satisfied yourself. 

Judi J.
on 3/28/13 6:56 am - MN

I froze some crystal light and made a slushy to get the chewing feeling those last few days. You can do this.

angeleigh
on 3/28/13 9:21 am, edited 3/28/13 9:22 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

By looking at my guidelines they gave me, it says week 3, so day 14-21 is pureed diet. I was doing Chili from wendy's for most of that week.

At week two i was told I could have yogurt, just had to low sugar low carb.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

MichelleNC
on 3/28/13 10:16 am

Yea they changed the nutritional stuff from when I went Jan 12 until my surgery they gave me all new info. All I am dying for is some yogurt and ricotta cheese. Not together of course ;-)

Michelle

Kim7777
on 3/28/13 11:06 am - NC
RNY on 02/04/13

Hi Michelle, my doctor advanced my diet to anything that I can cut with a fork at 2 weeks post op.  that was not a day too soon believe me!  I was not tolerating the protein shakes and when I started eating I physically felt 100% better.  The easiest food for me to tolerate is rotisserie chicken because it cooked slow until it falls apart.  Good luck on what you decide to do but I'm sure you will be fine:). Have a great weekend!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 364 views