Trouble getting it all in

mydragonmoon
on 4/2/13 12:29 pm
RNY on 02/14/13 with

I am about 7 weeks post op and am having one heck of a time getting in the fluids and protein. I feel like I'm drinking all of the time and eating all of the time. They say they don't want you to graze but I feel like If I don't I don't get in the protein. I still have to resort to protein shakes to cover all of the protein they want me to get in. I feel a bit defeated and down.  I HAVE lost 50lbs and everybody acts like this is the most amazing thing in the world. But, I still am taking 3 insulin shots daily ( though I take 1/10th of the insulin that I used to take) and I'm tired most of the time.  Does it get better? Does the energy return and does it get easier to get in the protein eventually? 

poet_kelly
on 4/2/13 12:35 pm - OH

It does get easier to get it all in, yes.  It was a good three months at least before I was getting it in without a whole lot of effort.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 4/2/13 1:21 pm

Think of this as a trip across the country.  You started in Manhattan and are now somewhere in the western part of New Jersey.  You have a long trip ahead of you and it is going to be an enjoyable experience.  Everyday your pouch will get a little bigger and you will be more easily able to eat.  Hopefully the diabetes will resolve after a few more months.  You are getting healthier every day.  Calm down and just do the best you can. 

None of us rolled off that surgical cart and jumped up and was able to do this perfectly.  We all learned how to get in the protein, vitamins, exercise and proper routines.  You are building a new way of life and it takes time.  Enjoy every day of this great journey.  When the energy comes it will be amazing.  Have a great trip.

nataliep
on 4/2/13 1:40 pm
RNY on 02/20/13

I am in the same situation.  I am 6 weeks post op, down 42 pounds (20 since surgery), and having a very had time getting fluids and protein in.  I ended up getting IV fluids again today.  I had them at 3 weeks post op also.  I have a very hard time getting the fluids in at work, I just get busy and forget to drink.  I am tired too!  I hope it gets better soon!  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck to you too!

Natalie P

Lizzie S.
on 4/2/13 2:07 pm

Just keep plugging away at the fluids and protein and before long you'll be getting them in easily.   Keep in mind that protein drinks count as fluids *and* protein and at the end of your day if you haven't had enough, have another protein drink. 

Lizzie S in Or

katmom_02
on 4/3/13 4:08 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

You and me both! I thought it would get easier, but it is taking FOREVER. I have been able to eat more protein now, but it is difficult to get in my liquids. I can tolerate fish, cheeses, and ground beef for my protein...but I have to eat VERY slowly or I will get too full really quickly and won't be able to eat anything else for a while IF everything stays down. It typically takes me about 30-40 minutes to eat my meals....which I KNOW is too long, but its the only way! Hopefully that improves.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 141 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics