Where are the vitamin recommendations found?

LadyLilMax
on 4/10/13 2:36 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

I have tried to search on the site here but I keep coming up with nada.

Kelly, Mrs Litch, or other vets?  I went to the ASBMS website and got lost there.  Exactly where do I go to see what is recommended for post RNY peeps? 

Thanks, sorry as I know this has been covered so often but all the reading I am doing is convincing me I am not quite doing it right.

My labs so far are very good but I want to go by the official website's recommendations.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Allen Y.
on 4/10/13 3:01 pm - Garland, TX

Most every doc has their own recommendations.

This should work though, 

every day

morning: b12 sublingual (unless you are taking some other way)

Mid day: Calcium Citrate  (prob ends up being two doses)

1 multi vitamin

at end of day at least two hours after taking calcium take an iron supplement

LadyLilMax
on 4/10/13 3:13 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Thanks, Allen.

I was looking more for something on a site that says post RNY needs: Calcium so many mgs daily, 

Vit D, how many units and etc. Is there such a site or maybe just in my mind?

MrsLitch
on 4/10/13 9:22 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Allen that is below the asmbs recommended guidelines. They recommend 2 multi's with at least 100% of daily value of things including selenium and zinc.

the citrate should be taken in 500 mg doses 3-4 times a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 4/10/13 10:29 pm - OH

That isn't what the ASMBS recommends.  they recommend two multivitamins, 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate (three or four doses of 500 mg each), B12 and iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LadyLilMax
on 4/11/13 12:33 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Thanks, Kelly!  I really am glad I found this site and all  you wonderful people who are so willing to share your knowledge!

CordeliaBlack
on 4/10/13 5:26 pm, edited 4/10/13 5:27 pm
RNY on 07/11/12

Hi there!

I found the article with the new guidelines for 2013 here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20461/full

Pertaining vitamins, this paragraph is key:

R32(54/89/93)-r. After consideration of risks and benefits, patients with, or at risk for, demonstrable micronutrient insufficiencies or deficiencies should be treated with the respective micronutrient (Grade A, BEL 2, upgraded by consensus). Minimal daily nutritional supplementation for patients with RYGB and LSG all in chewable form initially (i.e., 3 to 6 months), should include 2 adult multivitamin plus mineral (each containing iron, folic acid, and thiamine) supplements (Grade B, BEL 2), 1200 to 1500 mg of elemental calcium (in diet and as citrated supplement in divided doses) (Grade B, BEL 2), at least 3000 international units of vitamin D (titrated to therapeutic 25- hydroxyvitamin D levels >30 ng/ml) (Grade A, BEL 1), and vitamin B12 (parenterally as sublingual, subcutaneous, or intramuscular preparations, or orally, if determined to be adequately absorbed) as needed to maintain B12 levels in the normal range (Grade B; BEL 2). Total iron provided should be 45-60 mg via multivitamins and additional supplements. 

However, I recommend you to talk to your doctor about this and ask for his opinion.

Have a nice day!

LadyLilMax
on 4/11/13 12:35 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Very helpful, thank you so much Cordelia!  I love your name btw!

MrsLitch
on 4/10/13 9:17 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

This link is a good easy to read pdf of the guidelines: http://www.pamtremble.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Vitamin_and_Nutrition_Guidelines.pdf

This link is to their "guidelines" http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/GuidelinesStatements/Guidelines/bgs_final.pdf

I take vitamins based on my labs. I take the min. recommended 2 multis a day, I take sublingual b12 1000 mcg 3 times a week to keep my b12 at the 1045 it has maintained since surgery, I take 1500 mg calcium citrate with vit D3 a day. I do NOT take iron at this point and my labs do not show that I need to. I have a history of anemia pre op several times in my life and found I can not tolerate drinking the liquid iron and I've never been able to swallow pills so when I discussed this with my surgeon pre op he said we could do iron infusions if my labs showed I needed them, they so far have not. (I've also had a hysterectomy so my needs are not as high as a woman who still menstruates)

Remember with the basics shown in the pdfs you may need to adjust what you are taking based on your labs. Also keep records of your labs so you can see any trends down or up in all of your vitamins so you can adjust accordingly.

Many people say ask your doctor but you will find many bariatric surgeons do not recommend as many as the guidelines show and they are often ill informed themselves. This is def. a place you need to advocate for your own health.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

LadyLilMax
on 4/11/13 12:38 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Great.. this was what I was looking for!  Thank you so very much.  I want to educate myself as you and Kelly have done so I can get and stay healthy.  

Thanks a bunch!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 484 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?