RNY and Ghrelin

Emmysarb
on 4/17/13 12:57 am
RNY on 07/30/13 with

Just wondering if anyone know what the effect ghrelin has on hunger after Bypass. I have heard that with the sleeve because they remove the portion of the stomach that makes ghrelin the feeling of hunger is gone. In bypass they don't remove any portion of your stomach so the ghrelin is still being made, does that mean the feeling of hunger is still there??

MyLady Heidi
on 4/17/13 1:16 am

I never get any real hunger pangs whatsoever, haven't in 8 years so I am guessing mine is no longer a factor.

kikidoll
on 4/17/13 1:27 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13
I had surgery 4 weeks ago today and haven't experienced true hunger since... So there's definitely an effect. It comes back eventually from what I've heard but it's definitely a side effect. I think it comes back for everyone eventually, too

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/17/13 1:43 am

Some people don't get the hunger - some do. I do get hungry. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dahoodman
on 4/17/13 1:53 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

About 4 days after I got home from the hospital I started getting hungry, yes hungry with belly rumbling and everything. If I eat it goes away. It doesn't bother me, I was just surprised.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

gbsinsatx
on 4/17/13 2:09 am - San Antonio, TX

I am always hungry! Of course some of that is "head hunger", but I do experience real hunger if I do not eat something every 3-4 hours. I eat 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day and all contain protein.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Kim S.
on 4/17/13 2:16 am - Helena, AL

I'm almost 4 years out and while I "know" when it is time to eat, I rarely get hunger pangs.  I was constantly starving before surgery and my stomach was very loud when I was hungry.....I've never had hunger like that since surgery.

cajungirl
on 4/17/13 3:47 am

Hunger returns for some, others it doesn't.  At 8 years out I still don't know if I can identify true hunger, I eat on schedule mostly and when I don't I get an empty feeling that reminds me I haven't eaten BUT it isn't an urgent need to eat at all.

I suspect even if someone gets true hunger then the limited pouch size will control the quantity they can eat.....head hunger is another matter in that you can't eat much but it can control you and cause you to graze or eat out of that need and not true hunger.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

chicagomo
on 4/17/13 8:51 pm

Im one who also experienced physical hunger right from the start. I have to eat every 3-4 hours, but I am quickly satisfied and full. In fact if I wait too long I eat too fast and that's the only times I have been sick. I had to learn to carry food in my car, because when hunger hits it hits hard. But a few almonds, half of a protein bar or three peanut butter crackers and I am ok. I have lost almost 130 pounds in 11 months and feel great!

Most Active