Vitamins

Rita180
on 5/5/13 4:00 am - colorado springs, CO

I am 2 month post OP and I was just wondering how soon after surgery were you able to take vitamin pills the chewable kind is killing me ( nasty tasting ). I was also using citacal gummies they dont taste to bad but they are very expensive and I am supose to take 8 per day. I found small Citracal pills and was hoping that those would work. Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks, 

Marita

ShadowHR
on 5/5/13 4:11 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

Rita - I have been wondering the same thing, so I will anxiously await the answers with you.

susan

Surgery Weight 245

poet_kelly
on 5/5/13 4:13 am - OH

The Citracal gummies are tricalcium phosphate, which we can't absorb, so you were wasting your money on those.

I was able to swallow pills the same day I had surgery, although I took chewable vitamins for the first month or so.  The ASMBS says it is OK to swallow your vitamins as soon as you can tolerate swallowing pills.

Keep in mind with the Citracal petites, you'd still need to take eight to ten a day to get the 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate we need - they only have 200 mg per pill.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NDHM
on 5/5/13 4:28 am
With the citrical petites, I only take 6 then I have a couple of the Bariatric Advantage lemon chews. I get all my calcium and a treat
Professor Sonja!!!!
on 5/5/13 5:52 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I have been swallowing vitamins since day one.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Rita180
on 5/5/13 8:24 am - colorado springs, CO

Thank you all for the info I don't mind taking 8 Citra cal thats still more affordable then the gummies. I will check with my doctor in one month on getting Nexium as a pill and not liquid that way I have everything in pill form. I am so lucky I don't have to take Metformen anymore I was taking 4 a day no more lipedor or fish oil all my blood test came back fine and I am off my C-pap mashine as well live is good  

troopersma
on 5/5/13 3:50 pm

Question from a pre-op...what about liquid multivitamins and calcium?  I saw that Sam's Club (online) offers both and both had decent reviews.  Wondering if those would be a better option? 

poet_kelly
on 5/5/13 8:27 pm - OH

They are an option.  They aren't necessarily better.  Make sure, if you go with liquids, that the multi has 100% of the  RDA of stuff in it, including minerals like zinc, copper and selenium - some liquid multis, like Wellesse, don't.  Make sure the calcium is calcium citrate - some liquid calciums are other types that we can't absorb.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 483 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics