Newbie - Scared of Surgeon?

Maggie73
on 5/20/13 4:29 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

This is my first time posting but I have a question...OK, maybe two...lol

I have an appointment with a surgeon to see about getting RNY on Wednesday. I have come across some reviews that he isn't personable (in other words, you never see him after the consult) and that he gives very little pain meds after the procedure in an effort to get you up and walking sooner. Should I keep my appointment and just address these concerns with him? Or should I cancel and find another doctor?

Also, how long from the first appointment do you have the surgery?

Thanks for any info you can provide :)

~ Maggie  (Age: 40  Height: 5'7")    

SURGERY DATE: 7/22/2013

START: 254.6 - SURGERY: 246.4 - GOAL: 160 - CURRENT: 155  

cajungirl
on 5/20/13 6:38 am, edited 5/20/13 6:40 am

I would go to the consult and talk to him.  Personally, I wanted a very skilled surgeon with lots of surgeries under his belt and few complications.  My surgeon was an excellent cutter; he didn't have the best bedside manners but he wasn't rude either.

If you aren't comfortable with him after the consult then research others surgeons in your area and go from there. 

Time from apt to surgery varies depending on what test are needed, how long it takes the surgeon's office to submit to insurance, how long it takes for the insurance company to approve, ask for more information or deny.  If denied, find out why and appeal if your insurance pays for WLS; if you have an exclusion then it's usually iron clad and unless you can get the HR division of the company providing the insurance to make an exception then self pay is usually the only option.

Some of us are self pay....which happens very quickly.  Just too many variables to know how long it will take.

Oh and some insurance companies require a 6-12 month pre-op diet before approval so this may/may not play into how long it takes also.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MichelleNC
on 5/20/13 6:39 am

It depends on your insurance on how soon you will have surgery. Some require a 3-6 month "diet" phase. I had to go on a medically supervised diet for 4 months.

My surgeon doesn't have a good beside manner people were telling me. Nurses that worked with him said he was ****y. I met him I liked him but I had in my head too if I didn't like him that if he was ****y and he had a good reason to be...he is good.... that I was ok with that. I also know that I don't care who I see after surgery as long as he spoke to my husband I was good. The nurses are the ones that would be taking care of me. I saw his assistant for my discharge and I saw him at my 2 week appt. I see him every other appt. I like him after hearing all the negatives and I think he is a funny guy.

The pain meds if your in pain you have every right to demand more pain meds. Honestly I was off the heavy stuff in the first 6 hours and on liquid tylenol and I was up walking around. I would keep the appointment judge for yourself if you like him and trust your life in his hands. Don't go by reviews. One thing I have learned about reviews someone is quick to write something negative but the good reviews often don't get sent.

Good Luck!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

PetHairMagnet
on 5/20/13 6:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Let me ask this...why are you seeing this guy if you already hear bad things about him?

I had to find someone that I trusted and felt confident in all the way around.

Dr. Melkonian is not the chatty, crack you up kind of doctor. He is very efficient in his bedside manner and is an excellent surgeon and will answer any question you have without any judging or talking down to you. But he is ALL about pain management and walking in pain is no walk in the park. I left with 50 Vicodin a week ago and I have about half of those left, so I have taken them when needed, but have not had one since 6a yesterday and unless I have a set back, I don't plan on taking the others.

Personally, I would find another doctor.

poet_kelly
on 5/20/13 8:43 am - OH

It's up to you.  If you keep the appointment, do address your concerns with him.  I would not want to have surgery done by a surgery I would never get to see after the consult and pain management is also really important to me, but again, those are issues you can talk to him about.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VSG on 06/12/13

When I was in labor with my son (almost 18 years ago), I asked for an epidural. The nurses told me, "oh, the mean anesthesiologist is on duty now. Are you sure you can't wait a little longer?" My response: I don't want to have coffee with him, I want a ($#@%@#$) epidural!

So, in that case, skill beat out friendliness.

1.5 weeks ago, I fired my surgeon and hired another because I wasn't confident in his office's communication skills. The surgeon was a nice enough guy, but his front office was not what I was looking for. It had dawned on me that I was going to have a relationship with this TEAM for a long time to come. 

In this case, skill and friendliness are on par, IMHO.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics