Nerve pain

bboswell0203
on 5/24/13 3:20 am
So apparently the jp drain did a number on me. I don't know if it was the original position of the drain or if it was an accidental movement f the drain but I am having HORRIBLE pain in my left side around my 5th rib. I went and saw the np at my surgeons office Wednesday and she said I was nerve pain. The pain is not constant. I can lay down and it will feel just fine. But if I get up and walk for like more than 12 seconds it starts hurting. It feels like a really bad stitch in your side after you run too much or something. Then occasionally it feels like I am being stabbed to death. Since it is nerve pain, opioids will not touch the pain. My question is, did anyone else have this problem? If so, how long did it take to go away. I am supposed to be starting a new job as a floor nurse June 17 and I am terrified I am not going to be able to. I just graduated nursing school and I feel like I am going to be stuck at my current employer forever because of this. It gets to where I can't sit up sometimes too. Any advice?
Katie K.
on 5/24/13 4:57 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Not sure why opioids won't work. When my disk blew in 2005, that was nerve pain and they gave me hydrocodone. Worked enough that I could function, just a lot slower.

bboswell0203
on 5/24/13 5:06 am
Idk but they don't help at all. Which I have a very low dose prescribed to me. I don't really like taking pain medicine anyways. I've only been taking it 1 or 2 times a day but I'm prescribed every 4 hours.
tinapipp
on 5/24/13 1:56 pm

A drug like Neurontin, aka Gabopentin, will help nerve pain.  Ask about that. I have it for the pain i have for Interstitial cystitis. 

bboswell0203
on 5/24/13 2:38 pm
I have another appt in 2 weeks. I'm going to talk to her about it then if its not getting better. I have to have something to relieve this.
MultiMom
on 5/24/13 11:53 pm - NH

I would recommend taking the opioids as directed to see if that works. It may calm down the nerves to let you then have some comfort without the drugs. 

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

jbasney
on 8/6/13 3:29 pm - Bandon, OR

So, did your pain go away? I am having a similar amount of pain and am having a hard time tollerating it. I am suppose to be working this week but can't stand or walk for more than 5 minutes without extreme pain and was told by my surgeon that it is nerve pain and it will go away in four weeks. So any advice you could give would be great.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 503 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 575 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 12 views
Recent Topics