Sugar?

mydragonmoon
on 5/26/13 6:54 pm
RNY on 02/14/13 with

So.... I know I am not supposed to eat sugar.. but I have. I don't get "dumping syndrome" but something weird does happen if I eat too much sugar. I go into what feels like a coma. I get super tired and can't help myself and must lay down.  I feel SO heavy when it happens. does this happen to anybody else? And what exactaly is the cause?

aliceindietland
on 5/26/13 8:50 pm
RNY on 06/11/13

I suspect that others will have a better answer than me because I haven't experienced this, but I will say that it's what happens to a friend of mine who's had RNY - she says sugar makes her "crash."  She doesn't feel sick, but gets super tired if she has too much of it.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

dahoodman
on 5/26/13 9:47 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

My neighbor who had RNY 10 or so years ago is the same way. She comes over for a dinner or something here or we have a fire pit outside and when the snacks come out, she eats one and pretty much has to go home to crash, usually for the night. She usually tries to avoid the snacks so she can stay out later, but sometimes that snacks are just too good I guess. Since I'm just 8 weeks out I don't get to have the snacks any more. I have eaten some sugar and have not noticed any bad side affects yet, but I haven't eaten a lot of sugar at one time. I will usually just have a small bite of something so I imagine the amount of sugar is fairly small as well.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

65rosesmom
on 5/26/13 10:06 pm

I think its a mild for of dumping, really.   If I eat sugar (in a decent quantity -- say more than 25grams) I will feel my heart racing.   I actually thought I purchased diet snapple and started getting that fluttery heart feeling, which made me look at my bottle only to realize it was NOT diet and had over 50 grams of sugar in that bottle.  (Thankfully I had only drank about half before I started feeling it).    I do not feel SICK, just a very fast heartrate and then I get that same heavy crashing feeling, just so tired that all I can do is curl up and close my eyes.  Earlier out it made me feel worse, but I am very cautious about my sugar intake...its just not worth it.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

MrsLitch
on 5/26/13 11:46 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Google reactive hypoglycemia. I'm betting that is what you are experiencing. I had it prior to surgery, the way I described it was like having narcolepsy, I've even had to pull over in a rest area and take a nap, it was unsafe to drive. Basically your blood sugar spikes then bottoms out, not healthy, and you should avoid eating that causes it, itb can be controlled by diet similar to what we should be eating.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

cancancan
on 5/27/13 1:31 am - Gloucester, MA

I am 3 years post op and have the same symptoms.  I am grateful every day that I do, as it keeps me away from any significant sugar. The only sugar I eat is very dark chocolate -85% cocoa, which also serves as my caffeine for the day!  

jensieck76
on 5/27/13 2:15 am - TX
I would just avoid it...its a slippery slope anyway....one bite could lead to too many. You are lucky if you dont dump but as someone who fought diabetes before surgery I know what that feels like and to me its just as bad as dumping lol. I havent dumped either but honestly at only two weeks out I havent done anything to make me dump. Not a big fan of being sick!!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

MsBatt
on 5/27/13 4:44 am

That IS dumping syndrome.

MrsLitch
on 5/27/13 12:25 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
No, it isn't. Dumping, is very different. Can include: sweats, rapid heart rate, nausea, diarrhea. It's a very physical reaction

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

JaneJetson60
on 5/27/13 3:08 pm, edited 5/27/13 3:08 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

I'de be more interested to ask why you are testing the waters, especially this soon out?  If you know it's wrong, why continue to do it?  If you don't start changing your way of food and the reason why you are eating what you are, you need to talk to someone about this.  Best of luck, Jane

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 136 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics