Opinions on malnourishment with rny

Beyl689
on 5/28/13 10:57 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

I am on my 6th month of the pre op diet plan and I need to be deciding pretty soon between the sleeve or the rny. I have done so much research on both pros and cons of each surgery. I am 23 and I am currently at 284 lbs after losing 24 lbs during my6 month diet. I was set on doing the rny because Ive seen so many people having the most success with this. My only concern is the malnourishment and hair loss that it can cause. My other option is the sleeve. I like how it doesn't cause the malnourishment that the rny does but I'm concerned about stretching and not losing as much or regaining. I just don't know which one is best for me. What has your experiences been with either of the surgeries?

poet_kelly
on 5/28/13 12:04 pm - OH

RNY doesn't cause malnourishment.  If you don't take vitamin or eat a reasonable amount of protein after RNY, you might become malnourished.

Hair loss after RNY is not generally caused by malnourishment.  It's typically a reaction to the general anesthesia, which can happen after any surgery, including the sleeve.  It's called telogen effluvium. 

Now, some vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause hair loss, too.  But if you get labs done once or twice a year and take your vitamins, you won't have deficiencies severe enough to cause hair loss.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 5/28/13 12:15 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

It causes malabsorption.  This does not happen with the sleeve.  You will have to stay on a vitamin regimen forever with the RNY so that you do not become deficient.  Hair loss can occur with the sleeve as well.  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Miamos
on 5/28/13 1:34 pm - OH
Not sure about the malnourishment, I don't think my surgeon ever mentioned it, I guess if you had complications or didnt follow the plan it could happen. as for hair loss mine started falling out at 3 months and may have done it for two months. I have thick hair so nobody knew except for my a husband after getting out of shower or brushing and seen me cleaning it up. But now it has stopped and I am not losing anymore. I took a vitamin called biotien that is also good for nails and skin so it made my nails strong which in return made me shop for more nail polish!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/13 1:43 pm - OH

Although those with RNY lose weight a bit faster because of the bypass, by two years out (when you will have lost the caloric malabsorption, but will still have the lack of vitamin absorption) the weight loss statistics are closer and -- according to the ASMBS -- by 5 years out (when you have to rely on just the smaller pouch/sleeve and healthier eating habits to maintain the weight loss), the stats are very comparable and specific statistics really boil down to individual commitment and following the plan.

It is not easy to stretch the pouch or the sleeve.  With the RNY, it is far more likely that you will stretch the stoma (the artificial opening that replaces the pyloric valve which remains intact with the sleeve) than the pouch. If this happens, your sense of fullness can be diminished because the food exits the pouch more quickly than it should (and therefore it makes it easier to overeat.  NOT overeating in the first place, though, will keep you from stretching the stoma. You cannot, however, stretch out the pyloric valve.

As the others have said, hair loss happens with both surgeries.

RNY doesn't cause malnourishment if you eat properly, take your vitamins consistently, and have periodic lab work (for the rest of your life) to see if your vitamin doses need changed.  If you cannot commit to taking vitamins three times a day (necessary to get in enough calcium, which can only be taken 500mg at a time, and to separate some vitamins from others that interfere with their absorption) for the rest of your life, then RNY is not for you.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.