Recovery time for rny

Beyl689
on 5/30/13 11:42 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
Just curious how long the recovery time for the surgery is?
Ocalasam
on 5/30/13 11:53 am
RNY on 12/18/12
Seems like it's different for everyone - based on a lot of factors (age, health/medical status, other conditions, mental status). I was back to work and feeling pretty good in 2 weeks. The first week was hard!

The_girl_next_door
on 5/30/13 12:09 pm
I happily returned to work in 10 days. I was so eager to get everything back to normal.
bdefreitas
on 5/30/13 12:11 pm - Canada

I took six weeks of sick leave and I am very glad I did.  Aside from the fact you are healing physically, I was a bit overwhelmed with trying to get my nutrition and supplements and would have had a very difficult time with a stressful job.  Talk to your surgeon. Most of the information I received was 4-6 weeks off for RNY - unless there are complications.

VintageChick
on 5/30/13 12:42 pm
I'd planned for 2 weeks out as that seems fairly common. I hope to return after 4 weeks. I'm just over 2 weeks post-op and I tire very easily - no way could I return to work and I have a 80% desk job. I had significant blood loss; even with several transfusions I was only 8.2 hemoglobin at discharge. At 10.2 now.

Hope for the best but have a back- up plan in case of complications. Good luck!
BWB
on 5/30/13 12:54 pm

I'm retired but do work from home so while I was never more than achy I never had pain.  I guess three weeks, maybe four weeks and I was feeling pretty good to go.  I decided to take it easy and forego long drives and travel, DH went to the grocery and did the heavy work.  Do sensible things and give your body a chance to heal and you will be better in the long run.  Of course you will be losing weight, which is exciting, remember that you had serious surgery.  

apurdie
on 5/30/13 1:28 pm - CA

I took 2 weeks off and needed 4.  The first two weeks are tough!

Lessoflinda
on 5/30/13 7:58 pm - NY
I was only off two weeks but have a 100%desk job. I was tired, but, so wanted to get back to something normal...also, got a lot of support from work friends....lucky that way.

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

PetHairMagnet
on 5/31/13 10:56 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I started exercising (walking) the day of my surgery and went back to work one week later, NO PROBLEMS! :)

Though I will tell you, I am not one to languish after medical interventions. I was back to work 4 days after my rotator cuff surgery and graduated from PT several weeks ahead of schedule because I am willing to push myself.

My husband was home 2 weeks, but has a highly physical job, if he had a desk job, he said he would have gone back after one week, too.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics