Mourning

msnmayo
on 6/5/13 11:49 am - kinston, NC
Do you miss certain foods that you loved before surgery? I'm scheduled for 6-21 and start liquid diet tomorrow and I keep thinking about all the foods I'm not going too be able to eat anymore because they really aren't healthy. How do you deal?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/5/13 12:26 pm - OH

I think a lot of it is wanting to be healthy and normal sized enough that you are willing to give up those foods permanently (even though that isnt likely to be the case in the long term) and being able to look at those foods not as yummy things, but as things that were destroying your body with the extra weight. For some people (like me) it was a little easier knowing that I wasn't eliminating those tings FOREVER... Just until I lost the weight and developed better eating habits... And then I could have them in small amounts OCCASIONALLY.  For other people. It s easier to treat them as if they ARE gone forever because those people have foods that they do not eat at all after surgery for fear of it triggering bad eating habits again.

Many people also benefit from counseling to help them with mourning the loss of food.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Allen Y.
on 6/5/13 1:28 pm - Garland, TX

Oh, I was never ever a big candy eater. But now that I am post op I do look at the candy isle with some disdane. But if somethjing like guacamole can make me dump I am not going to temp fate with any candybar. I had a tiny little blue berry muffin and was sick the rest of the day. 

NOTE: Most people DON"T dump post op. But knowing my on mental defects I thank goodness that I do. It will keep me from ever even being tempted to abuse things that are not good for me. Really my health is such a good trade for the few food pleasures I have given up. I can get off the couch with out assistance. I can ride a bike for over 30 miles at a time. I can walk all over an amusement park and NOT be tired. I can fit the rides in the amusement park. I can fit in a car with out a seatbelt extender. The list goes on and on and on about what I have gained by loosing weight and giving up a very few foods I no longer tolerate.

How to deal, think about all the adventures you will be able to enjoy after that weight comes off. That slice of cake won't seem very important to you.

PPP
on 6/5/13 1:56 pm
At first it was very hard to deal but I think about why I did this and when all else fails I tell myself that I had 51 years of eating pizza, etc, and that eventually I can have a reduced portion again one day -after I've hit goal. I may never eat certain good tasting things again but I have to remind myself that one day maybe I can. Just never a regular amount again. I eat the small portions now and wonder how I used to eat all that food before.
selhard
on 6/5/13 2:15 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

You just might be pleasantly surprised... foods you once liked may not have the same allure.  So far, I have been blessed with little interest in the candy/cookie/chip/bakery aisles.  How do I deal?  By being too busy loving this new life to miss the old life.

April M.
on 6/5/13 2:36 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

I am three months post op and I used to LOVE hot dogs!!! Once I had progressed in my post op diet and was allowed to eat solids, I tried to eat one.  Just the hot dog, sliced thin with some mustard. No bun and it was my favorite kind (Hebrew National 98% fat free beef kosher dog). I ate about one quarter of it and was feeling full. About ten minutes after I ate it, I felt flushed, kind of nauseous. I can't eat hot dogs anymore cause I don't want to feel like that.  Maybe I'll try again in a few more months. I have a couple of times taken one bite of something that I thought I just really had to have.  Usually, after eating it, I feel sick and guilty.  Everyone's experience is different. You'll just have to see how yours goes.  I find if I eat the way I am supposed to, I feel better.  The only food I find myself craving at this point is salad.  My nut says I have to wait till my new pouch is mature enough to handle raw veggies.  I am hoping that'll be soon cause I really miss my salad. That being said, I know eventually salad will be back in my diet so I am waiting till then.  I don't want to chance getting off track.  Best of luck, you can do it!!

Athlynne
on 6/5/13 3:01 pm

I missed food like CRAZY at first. But don't worry, it passes. You get used to eating very little, and cutting out the unhealthy stuff. Today I went out for ice cream with my mom, sis and nephew, and was fine with just my water. :)

"I'm pleasant, but I have issues." - MST3K

Start weight: 290 lbs.
Current weight: 205 lbs.

Surgery date: April 15, 2013

MyLady Heidi
on 6/5/13 3:49 pm

No I don't mourn the foods that I loved so much they nearly killed me, pretty much hate them and will never eat a drop of Ben & Jerrys ever again or a Ho Ho, or any other processed ******g crap I used to love.  That **** is dead to me FOREVER!  Size six tastes better then any junk food you chew and swallow for thirty seconds ever can.

Ksan32
on 6/5/13 4:44 pm - AZ

I still mourn. I will be 2 years in August. I allow myself things I want sometimes. Last week I really wanted a Mr Goodbar, I bought it took off two squares and threw the rest in the trash at the store! We are human! I mourn buffets, it makes me sad I can't eat like a pig until I can't breath! Really!?!? I am a work in progress and so are you, you will find it to get easier.

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

honestlinzel
on 6/5/13 6:49 pm - CA

I really don't miss any of the "bad" foods like pizza and stuff. HOWEVER, I currently really miss salads. My pouch does not deal well with any kind of lettuce :(

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 422 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 261 views