Can rny patients take prednisone/steroids?

Beyl689
on 6/9/13 3:02 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
I have heard different opinions on whether or not you can take prednisone steroids after having the rny. I have asthma and I am prescribed steroids often when I have flare ups. Anyone know if I will be able to continue this?
poet_kelly
on 6/9/13 3:12 am - OH

Most bariatric surgeons say it is fine to take steroids after RNY.  Someone recently posted here that her surgeon said she absolutely could not take them ever because they would cause ulcers, but most sources I've looked at say that short term use of steroids doesn't cause ulcers.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery does not recommend avoiding steroids, though they do recommend avoiding NSAIDS.

The bottom line is, you can take whatever you want.  You'll need to talk to your doctors about the risks and benefits of any drugs, just like you do now (or should be doing now).  But most sources seem to say it is OK for WLS folks to take steroids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mzlaura
on 6/9/13 3:20 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On June 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Most bariatric surgeons say it is fine to take steroids after RNY.  Someone recently posted here that her surgeon said she absolutely could not take them ever because they would cause ulcers, but most sources I've looked at say that short term use of steroids doesn't cause ulcers.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery does not recommend avoiding steroids, though they do recommend avoiding NSAIDS.

The bottom line is, you can take whatever you want.  You'll need to talk to your doctors about the risks and benefits of any drugs, just like you do now (or should be doing now).  But most sources seem to say it is OK for WLS folks to take steroids.

Steroids are NOT recommended for RNY pateints. They can cause bleeding and ulcers. That was me who said this btw about not being able to ever take them.. and IF you do take them it's recommended you also take a PPI such as prevacid to prevent ulcers.

Other Medications

• Other medications to avoid as they may increase the risk of bleeding in the stomach or small intestine include Flurbiprofen (Ansaid), Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin), Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, OrudisKT) and Naproxen (Aleve and Naprosyn). Potassium Pills such as K- Dur, Klor-Con, Micro-K, KCl should also be avoided, however, liquid potassium can be taken. Steroids including prednisone, cortisone and intravenous steroids (Solucortef, Solumedrol) should also be avoided.

Read more: Medications to Avoid After Gastric Bypass | eHow http://www.ehow.com/about_5513663_medications-avoid-after-ga stric-bypass.html#ixzz2Vjxvnlns

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

poet_kelly
on 6/9/13 3:26 am - OH

I know that's what your surgeon says.  My surgeon said steroids were fine and I know many other people whose surgeon's said the same.

The ASMBS does not recommend avoiding steroids after RNY.

I also personally do not think Ehow is a reliable source of medical information.  The article you are quoting is written by someone with a degree in communications, not health care.

I respect your right not to take steroids if you feel they are too dangerous for you.  I don't think that necessarily means no one should take them, though, and it certainly doesn't mean all doctors believe RNY patients must avoid them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mzlaura
on 6/9/13 3:29 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On June 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

I know that's what your surgeon says.  My surgeon said steroids were fine and I know many other people whose surgeon's said the same.

The ASMBS does not recommend avoiding steroids after RNY.

I also personally do not think Ehow is a reliable source of medical information.  The article you are quoting is written by someone with a degree in communications, not health care.

I respect your right not to take steroids if you feel they are too dangerous for you.  I don't think that necessarily means no one should take them, though, and it certainly doesn't mean all doctors believe RNY patients must avoid them.

Yup every surgeon does things differently the poster is just going to have to discuss with her surgeon the risk/benefit of taking steroids and make that decision.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/13 3:30 am - OH

Ditto.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/13 1:06 am, edited 6/10/13 1:06 am

I'm with you on that. I have seen some studies that suggest that steroids may increase changes of ulcers. Most studies show that this effect may depend on the steroids dose and how long is the treatment.  

I do believe that some steroids use may be justified, as long as the risks are known.   Localized injections may be safer tahn systematic large dose of steroids... 

But any RNY person has to be careful and as a RNY - we have increased risk of ulcers. Even when  person avoids NSAIDS or steroids, or smoking - there still is possibility to get ulcers. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/13 3:28 am, edited 6/9/13 3:29 am - OH

What Kelly said.  The risk of ulcers with steroids is much lower than with NSAIDs, and if you eliminate NSAIDs and steroids, you eliminate all anti-inflammatories.  Honestly, this is the first time in 6 years on this board that I have heard of a surgeon prohibiting steroids for all RNY patients.  If someone has a medical history of gastric problems, that would be a special case.  I am somewhat of a special case myself because I take blood thinner and oral steroids (as well as NSAIDs) can interact with the blood thinner, so unless I really need them, I don't take them, but my surgeon doesn't prohibit all her patients from taking them.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.