No Routine Blood Work since surgery

charjames
on 6/16/13 10:34 pm - PA
RNY on 10/30/12

So I had surgery almost 8 months ago.  I have had multiple routine visits with my surgeon since, most recently at 6 months out. My surgeons office has never had me get blood work done- which seems odd to me.  I called & asked them about this & they said they do not request bloodwork done unless there is a problem and that judging by my weightloss & my telling them my vitamin intake & eating/drinking habits, everything is ok. I know every surgeon is different but does anyone else's NOT do blood work?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/13 10:46 pm - OH

My surgeon changed her protocol after I was already a year out (I had my PCP draw labs at 3 months because I was anxious about some that were low before I had surgery, but my surgeon only did them at 6 months and 1 year).  She later  started not doing labs until a year out because some insurance plans were not paying for some of the tests to be done at 6 month intervals (some of them, such as the Bit D test, are several hundred dollars!) and because the 6 month labs weren't usually showing changes, anyway.  It does take a while for issues to show up as far as vitamins that our body stores, but still... 

Personally, I would not have waited a full year.  I would have insisted on labs by 9 months out.  They cannot tell ANYTHING about your vitamin levels just based on how much you are or are not losing, or the fact that you SAY you are taking vitamins every day (even if that is the truth), so that statement by your surgeon's office is a ridiculous one!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 6/16/13 11:22 pm - OH

I would insist on blood work.  Or ask your PCP to order it for you.  That seems very reckless to me, and the ASMBS recommends yearly blood work (more often the first year, I think).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

charjames
on 6/17/13 12:03 am - PA
RNY on 10/30/12

Thanks ladies.  I thought it was ridiculous too.  They said they do it 1 year out unless I am havign issues.  But I dont want to wait for an issue, I'd rather be pro-active. 

poet_kelly
on 6/17/13 12:12 am - OH

Ah, OK.  I thought you were saying they never ordered blood work unless you had  problem.  I still wouldn't wait one year, but that's not as ridiculous as never doing it.

Did you get a full set of labs pre op?  Many people have deficiencies in thiings like D and B12 going into WLS.  And they can't tell based on your weight loss if you have any vitamin deficiencies - most deficiencies don't interfere with weight loss.  And they can't tell based on what vitamins you're taking, because different people need different amounts of vitamins - for instance, I have to take 50,000 IU D3 three tiimes a week to keep my vitamin D level good but some people need much less than that.  I have to take 25,000 IU A three times a week to keep my A level good, but some people are OK with just the amount of A that's in their multi.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/17/13 6:40 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Mine does a super limited set of tests, but I did get them to agree to do additional tests for me at my 3 month visit and then annually. I think I may just have my PCP run them in the future and coordinate with the surgeon on my results.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views