Does this get any easier ??

Beyl689
on 6/27/13 6:57 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
I'm on my first day of my pre op 2 week liquid diet and I'm freaking starving!! I've had a ton of water, two protein shakes and one sugar free jello. I can't imagine having to do this for 2 weeks. That's a long time!! I know it will be worth it in the end but geesh this is hard! Will it get easier after a few days?
jasmith31
on 6/27/13 7:25 am - Los Angeles, CA

It will...hang in there!

NewMommaK
on 6/27/13 7:32 am - Lake Village, IN

I am 6 days post-op, I can't say the pre-op diet gets easy but for me it did get better after 4 or 5 days.  During those two weeks I found myself sleeping a lot, especially in the beginning.  The sugar free popsicles and jello were a big help and avoiding being around anyone that was cooking or eating also helped.  Good luck and hang in there, as you said, it will be worth it in the long run!

PS I just got back from my post-op follow up and was told to go ahead and have a protein shake this evening and I was actually excited! If someone would have told me three weeks ago that I would be excited about drinking a protein shake I would have thought they were crazy!

PetHairMagnet
on 6/27/13 7:48 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Are you allowed soups? So long as they were not cream or milk based, it was allowed. Of course, I had to stay under 900 calories, but a bowl of tomato soup was 100 calories.

Don't fixate on food, fixate on your future.

I was on the liquid pre-op diet for 22 days due to an OR scheduling snafu. I was on a business trip in SF for 9 days in the middle of it and was being taken to some of the BEST restaurants, including several of my favorites, daily. I stuck to it, regardless. I might have had a bowl of soup when everyone else had appetizers and another when the entrees were delivered, but I stuck to it! And let me tell you, for this bread, butter and beef girl...being taken to The House of Prime Rib, Bob's Steakhouse and Ruth's Chris on 3 of the 9 nights...it wasn't as though I was not tempted, but taking control of my life, of making the changes that I'd be making for the rest of my life did not compare to what I could put in my mouth with a fork.

Keep your eye on the future prize--just like all good things, they ARE worth the effort. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Beyl689
on 6/27/13 8:30 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
I can have broth Of soup. I bought some low sodium beef broth but I don't think I can have soup unless its strained.
PetHairMagnet
on 6/27/13 8:51 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would call and very specifically ask if you can have a water based tomato soup. I did the Special Harvest from Campbell's and my doctor thought that was a great choice. I was also allowed the Butternut Bisque from the same collection since it is a water based bisque (most are cream/water based) and also 100 calories a serving.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Missella20
on 6/27/13 8:51 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Me too! I am on day 2 and I see food everywhere!! Tv, Facebook, driving my daughter to dance class...and guess who gets to cook for the hubby and kids?  I am trying to think about my body burning fat and my organs shrinking.  It is difficult, you are right!!!  Good Luck to you and hope to hear about your surgery and recovery soon!!!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

VintageChick
on 6/27/13 9:20 am
It got easier for me. By the time my surgery date rolled around I was beginning to think I could just follow the liquid diet to lose the weight and forget the surgery.
Hang in there!!!!
AlohaJen
on 6/27/13 9:18 pm
RNY on 09/05/12

I thought I was going to die too!!  I never realized how many food commercials are on TV !  My salvation was SF popsicles and clear soups... my husband served them to me in a bowl and I used a spoon, even though the soup was just broth... but it really made me feel like I was eating.  I slept alot when I could, and stopped watching TV. He took me out of town for the weekend before my surgery to get my mind off the fact that I couldnt eat, and he never ate around me, which helped so much..... You CAN do this....you are stronger than you believe....IF I can do it, then anyone can  !!  GOOD LUCK !!

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

cheslie2001
on 6/28/13 3:51 am - ME

I too started my liquid diet 6/27/13. I feel like I am going crazy! I am so hungry! I ask myself the same thing, "Will this get any easier?" My surgeon is very very strict about weight loss before surgery and she has been known to cancel surgery the day of if she thinks you haven't lost enough pre surgical weight. This just increases my anxiety! I am afraid to consume too much fluid! How ridiculous is that? hahaha I wish you the best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics