Does my pouch still work or am I doomed?

aidenswings
on 6/27/13 9:26 am
I am 4 yrs post op RNY gb and honestly have been a very bad eater with not much scheduled excercise, something I am ashamed of. The thing I wonder now is whether my pouch is too stretched out to even aid in weight loss if I get back on track...?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/27/13 9:35 am - OH

It is very unlikely that you have stretched your pouch unless you have been significantly overeating on a regular basis.  It is made from the least stretchy part of your stomach.  

Even if you HAVE stretched it, you can still utilize it for losing whatever weig you have regained (and keeping it off). Number one, it will never be anywhere nearly as big as your natural stomach was, so you will still get full with MUCH less food.  Number two, just because you CAN eat more (or even a lot) doesn't mean that you SHOULD or NEED TO eat more.  You only need to eat enough to meet your protein goals and until you have satiated your hunger.  Very often, that amount of food is much less than the full amount that we COULD eat.

You absolutely CAN get back on track and get the weight off.  You just need to go back to basics of a protein based, limited carb (no "white" carbs) diet, with plenty of fluids (but now with, or right after, a meal).  Exercise will help, of course.  So will tracking your food intake, at least for a while.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chrispy_man
on 6/27/13 9:43 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I agree. Your pouch probably still works. That's what my Doc said when I asked too.

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

PetHairMagnet
on 6/27/13 9:53 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Your pouch won't fail you, only you can fail the pouch!

Get back to basics and you'll gain the benefits once again!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics