What to take?

glamourqueen64
on 6/28/13 4:20 am - OH
RNY on 07/02/13 with

to the hospital that is~~surgery is Tuesday. I have been a member of OH since December and have read quite a bit of posts and replies on here before actually posting and replying myself but the time is just around the corner. I do know that I have seen quite a number of people say pack some GasX strips~so I got a box of that. What other essentials should be on my list? Not many, I hope~~since I will not be eating and will not be able to wear anything but loose fitting because of the incisions. I am sure I will need slippers but what else do you others suggest that I take along with me while I pack up this weekend? Still a bit nerveous and scared but cannot wait to get off of some of these pills for health problems due to this weight! Thank you in advance for all of the advice and knowledge that you give! It is, as always, greatly appreciate! I have this day and two more left on liquid diet, then full clear liquid on Monday! First full day at home and not busy at all, and first day of being tired!! Have done okay with this liquid diet. Only thing I hate, is it has about the worst bad breath I have ever had! Well, I am just rattling on, and I guess it is just a bit of the fear. Take care! Thanks again. Have a great day!

Connie

Weighting2Bskinny
on 6/28/13 4:33 am
I would definitely bring my pillow! I put mine over my stomach and held it to relieve pain and it keeps you feeling better.

GOD BLESS YOU            
glamourqueen64
on 6/28/13 9:51 am - OH
RNY on 07/02/13 with

Yes, I had heard this as well. I forgot to put this on my list. Thanks for the reminder!

Connie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/28/13 4:50 am - OH

The only things I took to the hospital that I actually USED (and I was there for 4 days because my surgery was open) were my toothbrush, tooth paste, hairbrush, cell phone (and charger!), and my own slippers.  I was given a pillow at the hospital to hold against my belly on the trip home, but I have never needed that for any lap surgeries I have had. Some people find they need lip balm, but I was taking ice chips as soon as I got to my room, so I never needed any.

You will spend the vast majority of your time sleeping or walking the halls, so you really don't need much.

Some people feel better in their own jammies, but that is a problem with IV tubing and you risk getting blood or iodine or other staining things on it, so I always stick to the hospital gowns and wear a second one as a robe when walking the halls.  I take my own pillow if I am going to be there more than 2 nights, but never for less than that (be sure it has a nice colorful pillowcase, though, so it will be obvious that it is yours).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

glamourqueen64
on 6/29/13 2:37 am - OH
RNY on 07/02/13 with

I have found my surgery is 7:45 a.m. It is lap rny and should go for 2 hours with no complications. Doc said after I am okay from recovery and go to a room and am okay to walk for the first time, then I walk. No drinking or eating the first day. Second day, early, we go for the barium test for leaks. If all is good, then we can proceed to a clear liquid on that Wednesday. Then, on Thurs., I can proceed to the full liquid diet (and go home that evening) again for another two weeks so the pouch can heal. Then, at the 2-week check up, if I am doing okay, I should be able to go to pureed foods. Yipeee!!!!

Thanks for all your help, Lora. I am sure I will be asking for more as the time rolls along!

Connie

kksnewsong
on 6/28/13 6:14 am
RNY on 06/06/13
I had surgery 3 weeks ago and was in hospital 4 days (migraine kept me extra day)..only thing I used was brush, tooth brush&paste , chap stick a little, face lotion, and my tablet and charger...I was in hospital gown...no undies---because I'm limited moblity because of knee problems I had a filter put in thur my upper leg to catch blood clots.., and hospital gave me slipper socks to wear...my suit case was not used until I got a pair of undies out to get dressed to come home along with a little make up I put on and I also brought my pillow from home...good luck with surgery! I have had no problems so far! Hope you don't either! the hospital gave me gasx but go ahead and take it. And slippers and a house coat just in case,
  1.     kksnewsòng

glamourqueen64
on 6/29/13 2:43 am - OH
RNY on 07/02/13 with

Yes, I am going to get some chap stick, and I will take some face lotion. I will see if I can take my mother's nook and charger, much smaller than my laptop! Got toothbrush & paste on the list as well as going to wally world after work tonight to buy some new slippers, well, just may go to work early and see if they got some on clearance (work at JCP and get my discount)!

Great to hear that you have not had problems! I have been praying for over a week now that the Lord has the surgeon's hands and my life and this is all His doing! Thanks for the help! Much continued success on this journey!

Connie

Katie K.
on 6/28/13 6:43 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Slippers! The only size grippy socks they had were XXL. I'm size 7 so I always had to keep pulling my socks up. It took about two steps before I had four inches of extra sock in front of my toes.

Toothpaste and toothbrush if they don't already provide it. It never occurred to me to keep brushing my teeth and mouth when I wasn't allowed to drink. Everything stuck to everything else. U couldn't even speak correctly. Ice chips only helped for a few seconds at a time. I suggest scrubbing out your mouth whenever you get up to walk.

Something to keep you entertained. I don't care for tv, so I didn't really turn it on. I brought my knitting. Discovered that I can knit on morphine but would lose interest a few stitches in. Something quick, a magazine maybe. Staring off into space is a pretty interesting activity, though lol.

I wore my pjs in because I was going to wear them home. The rest of the time I wore the hospital gown. They make them so big at my hospital. I only saw one guy who used one as a robe. Oh, I did bring my warm robe because my hospital is very cold. I didn't wear underwear until they took the catheter out. I was amused when I realized I'd been wearing them inside out. I have no idea how that happened.

I had a Bari Buddy with me. It helped when I slept because I wound up sleeping on my side. It helped to keep my guts in place. It was really nice for the ride home. I put him between me and the seatbelt so the seatbelt didn't cut into the sore parts of me. You can use a firm pillow instead. It does make things slightly more comfortable.

Tracy13
on 6/28/13 7:13 am - WV

The only thing I got out of my bag was my chap stick and cell phone charger. The hospital provided toothbrush toothpaste so I just used their. I did wear my own gripper socks which were so much more comfy than the hospitals. I had to wear their socks into surgery though. I didn't need a pillow, my surgeon does a program and they give you a bari-bear which is a flat firm teddy bear to hold against your stomach. I never needed gas-ex. I was really worried I would forget something I needed but someone on here said to me not to worry and if I do forget something the hospital usually has it or whoever was with me could run out and get. I also never watched TV, I felt that if I was awake enough to watch TV then I was awake enough to be walking the halls

HW- 405 (January 2011)

6/20/13 Surgery Day-374

glamourqueen64
on 6/29/13 2:53 am - OH
RNY on 07/02/13 with
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views