Exercise Equipment...Elliptical?? Do you use it?

Sherry T.
on 7/2/13 1:55 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

Someone posted a used elliptical trainer for $75 on an online page on facebook close to my home....do you use yours?  Feel the burn?  What are your thoughts?   The treadmill pouns my knees sometimes but I do feel like i burn more on the treadmill because I up the speed versus walking at the riverwalk....that's more leisurely...lol but I still get a sweat up! :)  anyway...trying to buy into this whole exercise thing and find various options...for the price...if I used it once a week, it'd be worth it.  

Just thinking outloud.

Thanks friends!

Sherry

AlohaJen
on 7/2/13 2:11 am
RNY on 09/05/12

Hi, let me first say, I HATE TO EXERCISE!  There, got that out of the way. We have a very nice Elliptical Trainer and Treadmill at home. The Elliptical is advertised to be no pressure on your knees, but it kills mine and makes it hard to walk everytime I use it. I can use the treadmill with no probs and up the incline and speed to burn more calories and up my heart rate.  I do not have any knee injuries, but I do have pretty bad arthritis in both of them, but like I said, I hate the elliptical machine....  Do any of your friends have one that you try out for a while before you buy?  Plus it takes up alot of room if you decide later that you dont like it.... GOOD LUCK!

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

exohexoh
on 7/2/13 2:32 am - West Chester, PA
I'm the opposite of the previous poster, running kills my knees but I could be on the elliptical all day with no problem. I don't feel like I get a good enough workout from it though. I tend to do it on my easy days.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

BWB
on 7/2/13 2:37 am, edited 7/2/13 2:37 am

I hate the elliptical. my thighs are in agony but the treadmill is fine.  I have watched people use the elliptical for an hour and read a book at the same time.  NOT me.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/2/13 2:38 am - OH

The elliptical machine also hurts my knees if I do a pace and resistance that actually will get my heart rate up.  I have not tried it since getting my knee replaced, but it hurt both of my knees, so I don;t think it is going to be any different. it can get your heart rate up, but you have to work at a pretty good apce and with a reasonable amount of resistance.  It was not as hard on my knees as the treadmill, though.

I have a recumbent bike at home, though, that I do use.  It doesn't hurt my knees  at all unless there is a lot of swelling.  An upright bike, on the other hand, is out of the question for me.

Is there somewhere you can go to try an elliptical machine before you buy one? Also, you would want to be sure that the one you get actually has some variable resistance feature (some of the less expensive ones don't, and won't do much for you.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sherry T.
on 7/2/13 2:44 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

May have to try and ask around....see if I can test drive someone elses.....I have had knee surgery and when i lived in ATL...my orthopedic dr  told me if i didn't lose weight, i'd be facing knee replacement when i was 45...well hello, I'm there!  I think it was a scare tactic...but he highly approved of me getting WLS in 2002, even wrote the letter and had me pick it up...then I got pregnant and 10 years later....I had it done laproscopically :) thank goodness!  So, yes, the knees concern me....long term...I probably will have to face it but I want to hold off as long as possible.  

Thanks everyone for you comments!! 

Sherry

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/2/13 3:10 am

You can see if you can get a few days free pass to a gym near you.  - just to try.. and then you can test some of the machines and see what feels the best. I hate the elliptical.. but can go long time on a treadmill. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Calla Lily
on 7/2/13 2:44 am, edited 7/2/13 2:45 am
RNY on 01/23/12

and I LOVE the elliptical machine! I use it every single day... I love that I can change the settings, go forward or backwards, use my arms, OR just hold the bar to the side.... I think it helped me turn my thick turkey legs into thin chicken legs! It is pretty easy, so I could see how a more fit person might think it is too little a work out for them, but for me, if it wasnt easy I wouldnt do it haha So it is the perfect exercise machine for me!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Karen R.
on 7/2/13 2:46 am
RNY on 04/14/13

I think the elliptical is torture.  It's so much harder than walking on the treadmill.  I stay away.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Day_dream_believer
on 7/2/13 8:01 am

I would test several different brands of elliptical trainers.  If you go to Academy or dicks you can try them out and see how you like it.  My husband found that some brands were better on his knees than others.  That was 6 years ago and it is now taking up space in our garage.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 438 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views