4 yrs post op bad habits

heavenlyhash
on 7/22/13 2:54 pm - Canada

So I'm 4 years post op with a regain of 20lbs  as you can guess pretty down on myself  I am 5'9 and weigh 180lbs about a size 12-14 depending.  I had a tt last year and things kind of went down hill from there.  Has anyone tried the 5 day pouch test and how did it work for you?  My original weight was 331lbs and am still a big girl. Depressed,sad,lonely and not much support.  Family and friends don't get it though they do try to understand, have bought and read the books. No support groups out this area and no I can't start one myself with the hours I work.  I work when most people sleep.:)

Katie K.
on 7/22/13 7:08 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

You just need to get back on the wagon. I've heard that the pouch test doesn't really help, but people here say go back to the basics and start over again.

As for support groups, poet_kelly posted a whle ago about having a telephone support group. I'm not sure if that was a one-time thing or if it's ongoing. In any case, this is a support group. I'd say message me but I'm only four weeks out so I probably can't help much ;)

chicagomo
on 7/22/13 10:21 pm

so sorry to hear you are struggling. Two questions: have you been logging your intake? The 5 day test is just a crash diet in disguise - it sounds like you know you have gotten offtrack - what are the habits you want to change?

Did you do counseling? It might help with the feelings of depression, sadness, etc.

sending warm wishes for you to get back to the habits that worked well for you!

maureen

TomN
on 7/22/13 11:30 pm
RNY on 12/27/12 with

Same doctor's office as you and am right on the Canadian border...a few of us keep looking for support groups but, as you stated, none around!  I keep on track by coming to this site daily to remind myself of the ebbs and flows of the process and to keep up on how best to use my tool.  I also try to stay in touch with friends who have had the surgery to both keep up with how they are doing/feeling as well as to keep myself accountable to other people who, like me, had this surgery.  Looking at it from an outside perspective, you are still down 150lbs from your high weight!  That is tremendous...now it is a matter of going back to basics, pull out the old menus Graber gave you and go back to week seven and add exercise back into your daily routine and you will shed those 20lbs and maybe more!  If you ditched the menus, call them and ask for a new one and make an appointment to go down for a follow up visit.  I head down next week for my seven month post op appointment and I am looking forward to it!  You got this...get back on the proverbial horse and keep us posted.

Kim S.
on 7/22/13 11:51 pm - Helena, AL

I'm 4 years post op too, and I have not had any regain.  It isn't because I'm "better" than you, but I did change my habits, and I CHANGED MY ATTITUDE.  STOP being so down on yourself and playing the "victim".  TAKE CONTROL OF THE SITUATION.

Only you can control what you do: if you think you are a failure, you are.  If you concentrate on your success, you'll be a success. The 5 day PT is a FAD DIET.  And no, you don't need to go back to the beginning.  You need to eat less than you burn consistently to lose weight, and you need to keep the good habits permanently.

You can get plenty of support right here on this site, 24/7. I have come her almost every single day since August 2008. But guess what?  I don't need support to determine whether or not I'm on track.........that is my responsibility and I JUST DO IT.  And so can you.

If you truly suffer from depression, or have underlying psychological issues that are standing in your way, please get professional help. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, and the surgery was only on our guts, not our heads.

Are you journaling your food?  EXERCISING? Drinking when you eat?  Making poor choices?  You need to fix what is broken and stick with it. Commit to yourself to do it.  You are that important, and you should be your number one priority!

WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT YOU! Please keep us posted.

Joyceebaby
on 7/23/13 12:05 am
RNY on 11/29/12

Ok, first of all, you are NOT a failure!   You are still down 151 pounds after four years!  That's amazing!!!!  You are a success.  Ok, so your weight is now creeping back up.  Bad habits are starting to settle back in.  You are reaching out!  You have recognized the problem!  Now take action!!  You can do this!  

Remember when you were 331 pounds?  Did 20lbs overweight seem like a lot to you?  Did you get sick of listening to girls who were only 20lbs overweight talk about how fat they were?  I know I sure did when I was 283!  

Most of us aren't like the previous poster who never flounder.  She has a fantastic and inspiring story.  However, most of us will slip back a few times, to bad habits, and have to keep on correcting ourselves until we "get it".  I've been in counseling and it really helps.  If you don't have a support group, find a counselor.  Don't use finances as an excuse.  Cut the cable off, eat out less, cut some other expense, but get the help you need to work through this.  

I've found that if I really, really want something, I WILL make it happen.  If you really, really want this, you will make it happen.

Best wishes to you!! :)

Laura in Texas
on 7/23/13 12:50 am

Even with the extra 20 pounds, your BMI is 26.6. You are DEFINITELY not a failure. Many people have goal BMI's higher than yours and are content. If you want to lose it, I suggest you track your food. Weigh or measure everything. We often lose sight of what a real portion size looks like.

The 5DPT helps some get over their carb cravings, but I would not depend on it to lose weight and keep it off. It can be a good jump start for some people.

Forgive yourself and move forward from here. The mental part is most important. You CAN do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

heavenlyhash
on 7/23/13 2:34 pm - Canada

thank you all for the words of encouragement.  I am waiting counselling again, unfortunately in the past the counsellers although very good did not have experience with wls.  I keep trying until I find a good fit.  working on my other issues will hopefully help with my depression and self esteem.  I am dating a wonderful guy who is supportive and is reading up on the surgery,  I made the mistake of pretending I was "normal" at the beginning of the relationship and although he knew about the surgery he assumed I was following the rules.  I wasn't.  He is now more aware and on board with my eating habits. I know what I have to do but have been making excuses .  You are so right, when I was heavy 20lbs didn't seem like a big deal probably because I had given up.  I have not given up this time.  I will get my family and friends on board again because they all assumed I was doing okay and that I was normal again.  The things we do to fit in and not bring attention to ourselves is ridiculous and at time self destructive.  I can do this and I will.  I will make more of an effort to reach out to the forum.  I try and get on about once a week because I can only access at work on my break. I haven't posted in a long time because I felt that I was a  fraud when reading how well people were doing, what they were eating and how great their life was going.  I would look for posts that mirrored my feelings in an attempt to feel better about myself. misery loves company.  I've had a health scare and will make my tool work for me.  I had a follow up in Mar.  and they said my pouch is fine , although they didn't do any tests so? I'm using the 5 day pouch as a way to get rid of the carbs I crave, and to get a grip on my head hunger.  Will keep everyone posted and thanks