Disgusted

watsonstefanie22
on 7/24/13 4:47 am - badin, NC

I am two years post op from RNY.  I am continuously gaining weight. Help!!!!!! I am needing help getting back on track.  I need mea l and snack suggestions.

poet_kelly
on 7/24/13 4:57 am - OH

What are you eating currently?  How often, how much food at a time?  How many calories per day?  How much protein per day?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

watsonstefanie22
on 7/24/13 6:23 am - badin, NC

I have strayed to some carbs  that I have cut out. I went through a period where different meats where making me sick. I having been eating a protein bar for breakfast, cottage cheese with fruit for snack and ive been trying to eat salads for dinner. I hsve noticed that since it has gotten hot I haven't exercised. I have logged my food on the go meal app and im normally around 1200 calories a day. Many days I do not have my protein intake. I still get really full quick when I eat protein foods. I've been getting around 60 grams of protein daily.

poet_kelly
on 7/24/13 7:36 am - OH

It would surprise me if you are gaining weight on just 1200 calories a day.  Please don't be offended, but are you sure you're logging everything correctly?  I have found it's easy for me to get more calories than I think I'm getting if I'm  not careful.  If I don't actually measure my food, if I just guess if I'm eating half a cup or whatever, I am not always accurate about the amount I'm eating.  And when I log my food (which I only do occasionally, I don't do it all the time), I often don't bother to log it if I eat something like one Hershey's kiss or two potato chips, because I figure those things have very few calories and it's a pain to figure out how many calories is in two chips, you know?  But the problem is, if I nibble at a lot of things like that, those very few calories can start to add up.  So anyway, if you're not sure you're counting your calories correctly, I'd start with that.

If you are sure you are gaining on just 1200 calories a day, I think I'd talk to your doc.  Make sure you don't have a thyroid problem or something going on.

Also, are you very active?  You say you haven't been exercising much since it's been hot.  Moving more (doesn't necessarily have to be a formal workout program) may help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 7/25/13 12:43 am

I agree with the others. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING!! Many of us, myself included, have a hard time determining what a serving really looks like.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kim S.
on 7/24/13 5:12 am - Helena, AL

I'm going to give you a bit of tough love.  If you are going to get real and fix the problem, you have to first get honest with yourself.

At two years post op and gaining weight, this is a sign you never changed your habits.  You enjoyed the ease of weight loss during the initial post op months but you didn't do the work you needed to prepare for the rest of your life.  That first 12-18 months is when we have to capitalize on the "honeymoon period" and work on PERMANENT changes.

If you are gaining, it is likely because you are eating more than you burn off on a consistent basis.  At this point you gain just like non-surgically altered people.  Most if not all malabsorption is gone....but you still have a small pouch.  Now you must do what "regular" people do to lose weight:  ingest less calories than you burn CONSISTENTLY to create weight loss.

It is time to suck it up and put on your big girl panties and deal with the issue.  YOU are in control of every single thing that gets into your mouth, and you are in control of how much/often you exercise.

Here's a few things that might help:

1) Begin tracking everything you put into your mouth (HONESTLY).  You can do that here on OH in the Health Tracker or on  mobile apps like myfitnesspal.com.

2) Determine your RMR http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

3) Set your daily caloric level at your RMR - 500.  This will set you up to lose 1 lb per week, which is the safest level to shoot for AND it will give you enough food so you don't feel deprived.

4) Make 100-120 grams of protein per day your goal.  I eat a 6-7 oz chicken breast grilled every single day.  That alone is 53 grams of protein, and it is real food so I feel full.

5) Eat 6-7 small meals each day.  This will keep your blood sugar level and will keep you feeling full.

6) Exercise.  Everyday.  At least 30 minutes.  If your heartrate is up and you are sweating, you are good. DO NOT make excuses about not having enough time.  You have the same 24 hours in a day that I have and I manage to do it.  It is about priorities.  YOU ARE WORTH THE EXTRA EFFORT.

7)  Follow the rules of your surgery.  Do not drink with meals and do not drink for at least 30 minutes afterward.  Limit simple carbs and sugar, but don't completely eliminate them.  If you do, you'll feel deprived, and we all know how well that has worked for us in the past.......

8)  Come here for support.  We are here for you.

Finally, I am not trying to be mean, I'm trying to help you be honest with yourself and get to the root of the issue.  After WLS, the hardest part is MAINTENANCE.  There is no magic formula for long term success- it is honest, hard work and never taking your eye off the ball.  That doesn't mean living on a diet, it means finding balance in your life so you can design the success plan that will keep you fit and at a healthy weight.

I wish you much success-please keep us posted and ask any questions you might have.

watsonstefanie22
on 7/24/13 6:28 am - badin, NC

I needed that Kim! I feel so bad i have gained 18 pounds back since surgery. I do know I haven't been working out, which I'm back on it today.. I don't think that the foods that I am eating are fulfilling. I'm trying to find better choices that fill me up. I think the honeymoon phase made me comfortable.

Kim S.
on 7/24/13 6:38 am - Helena, AL

Don't feel bad-take action!  You've got this!

gwynnkitty
on 7/24/13 6:29 am - North York, Canada

What a fantastic post. Honestly - this is very helpful for people at ANY stage.

Thank you for taking the time to write it out.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Lora R.
on 7/24/13 7:58 am
RNY on 09/12/13

Where is the like button?  Strongly put and real.  Thank you.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 269 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views