First time eating at restaurant post-op

Ericka K.
on 7/27/13 10:44 pm
I am 3 weeks post op as of tomorrow. My hubs took 2 weeks off after my surgery to help me around the house. We went out for lunch after my NUT appointment where she told me I can eat real food (minus raw fruits, veggies, pasta, bread and nuts). I asked about a chicken sandwich that sounded good, found out it was fried and got a grilled chicken breast on it instead. Luckily it was super moist. Took half the 6 oz chicken breast (I asked the weight and the server asked the kitchen) off the bread and that was my lunch. The other half was lunch the next day. Then I met my hubs at work the next week and we went for lunch again. This time I had looked at the menu cuz it was more of a planned thing rather than a "what do you feel like" thing. I got grilled scallops (1 oz each) ate 3 took the other 2 for dinner. Gave hubs my coleslaw and my mashed potato. Funny, we hardly ever eat out and after my surgery we go out twice in 2.5 weeks. I agree that if you can look at the menu online and plan it's a lot easier. If the waiter can't answer your question they should be asking the kitchen. If they give you a hard time it's not a place I would dine at again. It's all in your approach, if you ask nicely and apologize for being a bit of a pain they're usually happy to do it for you. Good luck.
Karens62
on 7/27/13 10:52 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Since I, like several others on here, travel for work and am on the road every week, not eating out is not a choice.

While i am concious of what i eat, sometimes i dont have the luxury of planning ahead or even being the person to choose where we'll eat. Rather than over thinking it, I try to pick things off the menu which are as close to unprocessed as possible so in a Mexican restaurant, I usually go for the chicken fajitas, hold the beans, rice, tortillas and guacamole. Then I am left with chicken, onions, peppers, tomatoes and cheese. I sprinkle the cheese on one end of the chicken and that's dinner. At Panera or another sandwich place, I usually just order a sandwich with no mayo, oil, etc. and eat the middle since I'm not crazy about meat on salads.

My main enemy while traveling is water retention. For instance, this week I got home on Friday, weighed 2 pounds more yesterday am from what I weighed Tuesday am when I left, then peed ALL day long and this morning I am down 4 pounds, which was a 2 pound loss since Tuesday. I know this happens every week so I have stopped stressing but don't be surprised if the salt, etc. in a restaurant meal causes you to retain water.

And have fun. Even though we all got here for different reasons, there should be no reason you can't have a social occasion with your family and friends. Remember the reason you are there is them, not necessarily the food.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

bluesfan
on 7/28/13 4:05 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

Hi Kinny

I just had surgery recently and my first dine out was to a Mexican restaurant also.  I showed my card stating I have had bariatric surgery and was allowed to order off the kids menu. I had a shredded beef enchilada with beans and cheese. I did not eat the flour wrapper or all of the beans.  Never in my life did I think I couldn't finish a kids meal.  LOL !!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/13 5:14 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/13

I've been out to eat a few times now.  Mexican was easy, side of beans and guacamole, the insides of a chicken and carnitas taco, carne asada.  At American restaurants chili is a good option but so is grilled chicken, which you can get from a sandwich (sans bread) or in a salad (sans fresh veggies you can't have). I've had Persian food (grilled lamb, chicken and beef and 1/2 a grilled tomato), I've also done burgers (turkey, beef and chicken), fish (white fish).  So there are a ton of options out there.  Start small and add things in one at a time so you can see how your body reacts to it.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 499 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 499 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 372 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 87 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?