If we can absorb protein from protein shake, can we do so from soup?

ready2be140
on 8/18/13 2:36 pm - WA
RNY on 08/29/12

QVC got me tonight- and I ordered my first Vita Mix    I have read some mixed reviews on here, that we are not suppose to eat and drink at the same time, but if soup is a "meal"  we are breaking that cardinal rule....but I guess if it were loaded with good stuff including protein, would our bodies absorb it just like it does from a protein shake?   Sounds like a silly question to ask, but now I am second guessing...

BWB
on 8/18/13 2:45 pm

My nutritionist doesn't want us eating anything that is too thin for a fork.  That includes soup, however,  I fix really chunky chicken and beef soup, split pea with veggies and lean ham.  Thin soups do run right through. 

sarah_durso
on 8/18/13 2:51 pm

I get a lot of my protein from soup. Either bean&bacon or split pea.  There was a good lentil one made by Progresso too. Just be sure to look at the fat and protein. Some have a lot of fat. others virtually have none. The lower fat ones are higher in sugar, so read those labels. 

Bibi723
on 8/18/13 3:18 pm - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

You can always make your soup and blend it all together so its thicker. I did it for my cuz that had his mouth wire shut after an accident. He loved it. Hope this helps. I am pre op 

A_new_beginning
on 8/18/13 3:41 pm - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

Just an FYI, Unjury sells a chicken broth (dry mix) that has 21 grams of protein in it per serving.  I plan to use it as a meal or part of one especially in the beginning few months after my surgery.  I'm also going to drink V8 juice mixed with it to get my veggies in as well.  What others do, I don't know.  I did ask the nutritionist about it and she said it was a good way to get both our liquids and our protein in the beginning.

Surgery date: August 29th, 2013

HW: 247 lbs. Height: 5' 2"

LW: 123 lbs!

Katie K.
on 8/18/13 6:36 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
My program is fine with soup. They recommend drinking the liquid first then eating the solids. That way the solids don't get washed through your pouch.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/18/13 9:24 pm
I think Vitamix is as great idea. My body has problem breaking down some veggies. Some days a nice hot soup is all I need.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

VintageChick
on 8/18/13 9:37 pm
I've had my vitamix for several years and really like it. I usd it immediate post-op quite a bit.

lap RNY 5-15-13

poet_kelly
on 8/18/13 10:00 pm - OH

Of course we absorb protein from soup.

The reason for not eating and drinking at the same time has nothing to do with the absorption of nutrients.  If you drink with meals, you wash the food out of your pouch and get hungry sooner.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics