Lapband revison to Gastric Bypass

Melanie C.
on 9/14/13 1:07 am

I had lapband surgery almost 5 years ago. It has not been a success for me. My surgeon has recommended I have gastric bypass. Has anyone here had a revision from lapband to gastric bypass and if so, How was the transition for you? I really want to have this lapband taken out, but I am afraid of gaining all the weight back. I'm nervous about going through the changes of the surgery and having to relearn to eat. Can anyone help me and tell me your experience?

poet_kelly
on 9/14/13 4:13 am - OH

I was not a revision myself, but there are a number of former banders here and I'm sure some will respond.  Unfortunately, it's pretty common that the band doesn't work or it causes problems and people need revisions.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rosie_mari
on 9/14/13 4:19 am

Just like you I was banded almost 5 years ago: didn't work I don't think I lost anything but I didn't gain anything either. After years of working with my surgeon and nutrionist I finally got approved for the gastric bypass. I am currently almost 5 months out (on Sept. 22 it will be 5 months) I am down 68 lbs. and about 55 inches. The thing with going from band to bypass you do I have to relearn to eat. I am never hungry because my pouch is smaller than most because I previously had the band. But on the other hand I think it is an added bonus that I had the band because I already know how it feels when I got to full or would get sick. I had my band removed in December and went 5 months without the band and luckily kept my weight at the same. The doctors said its normal to gain some weight back. If possible I would have the doctors do it all at once, unfortunately I had a hernia and had to do 2 separate surgeries. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cindy W.
on 9/14/13 7:56 am - Madison, CT
I had lapband surgery in 2008 and did very well, losing more than 80 pounds. Then, unfortunately, my lapband eroded my stomach and had to have the band removed very quickly. My surgeon wanted me to wait 9-12 months for my stomach to heal before revision surgery...I waited 14 months and gained every single pound back. I am now 6 weeks post op and feel great! I have lost 25 pounds and starting to feel like myself again. The diet for me is very similar as my lapband diet...small portions, protein!, no drinking with meals.

Good luck with your decision! There is also a revisions board where you will see loads of people who have revised from lapband to RNY.
Sherrie P.
on 9/14/13 12:30 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Lapband = worst decision ever. Revision to RNY = best decision ever.

I only ever lost 27 pounds with the band in 4 years. I unfilled and then gained that 27 and 30 more.

I have now lost 81 pounds in 7 months and feel great.

I always felt like I was choking and hungry with the band.  Now I have the kind of restriction I wanted in the first place.  Where i eat and actually feel FULL, not stuck and miserable. 

I was embarrassed and depressed with the band. Now I am happy and loving the journey.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Melanie C.
on 9/14/13 12:57 pm
Melanie C.
on 9/14/13 1:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel very confident about the revision and I believe I will go for it. Thanks again!

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/13 3:05 pm - NV

I to have the lap band.. it was placed in 2005 and in 2010 the inner tube had errupted and it no longer worked.. I was able to eat again and bread,pasta, potatoes ect were so new again i gained over 268 lbs in the next three years... while the band worked i had lost almost 200 lbs.... so now we are taking it out........ it is coming out the same day i am getting the revision to RNY.. my surgeon Dr. John Ganser out of Reno NV. said he should have just done the RYN in the first place... i had it put on when it was the newest thing in WLS. so i guess i was kind of a guinny pig for it... none the less im just waiting on a surgery date.. ready to start this new chapter... and good luck to you...

Melanie C.
on 9/28/13 11:50 pm

I believe I was a guinny  pig also. I had it when they first started doing the realize band. At the consult I had told my doctor I wanted the gastric bypass but he told me that he felt the band was a better fit for me. When I was talking to the doctor I am seeing now he was mentioning the things that would have made the doctor feel that I needed the bypass (eating sweets, grazing) things like that and I laughed and said, I told him I do all that. So, I do believe he wasted my time with the lap band.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 460 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics