5 days post op!!! A little buyers remorse

Roo33
on 9/15/13 6:30 am - OH

So on the 10th I went in, had my surgery, and every thing went well! Day 2 I left the hospital feeling unexpectedly good. Fast forward to day 3 mid day and the crap hit he fan!! omg was I sick! unstoppable nausea, followed by the weakness that comes from not being able to get my fluids down, to dry heaves from trying to take my nausea medication!! The dry heaves where a killer on my newly stapled and sutured belly! Ended up making a late night trip to the E.R where I was given 2 bags of fluid, a better for me nausea medication, and instructed to take my prilosec in the early AM instead. IM happy to say im feeling better today and my buyers remorse has subsided some today. Any one else suffer from nausea this way? Any tips on n remedies Im allowed to use? And most importantly when can I expect to feel better?

sdn2013
on 9/15/13 6:36 am - TX
RNY on 09/04/13 with

So sorry to hear you are feeling so bad!!!  I had an episode of dry heaves in the hospital and it was HORRIBLE!  I feel your pain!  I don't have any ideas really but wanted to say I had to start the Prilosec 2 weeks before the surgery and it made me very ill - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.....doctor switched me to Prevacid and doing much better!  I do take it first thing in the morning.  Good luck!!

NewDayForTrixie
on 9/15/13 7:20 am

I suggest hydrating as best you can (I like vitamin water zero - revive because it has B vitamins and no calories) and picking up Sea Bands at your local pharmacy.  Sea Bands work through pressure points in your wrists.  They are very popular with people with motion sickness and pregnant ladies!  I only take them off to shower.

I am 6 weeks out and still nauseous ... but these have helped me quite a bit.  

It gets better (but I can't promise when)!

karin602
on 9/15/13 7:51 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I had nausea in the hospital but that was from the anesthesia I think.  Dry heaves were the worse.  Nurses even had me sniffing alcohol swabs - said that the smell sometimes stops them.  Didn't.  Ended up with two different IV injections to begin to bring it back under control.  Went home with some dissolving type of pill - think it was fenagin or something like that.  Fortunately by week's end it had subsided and everything has been good since.  Holding on to the pills though just in case!  Hope you're feeling better.  Keep on drinking!

Karin

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 476 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 323 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 355 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 64 views