24 pounds in 3 weeks?

Roo33
on 9/30/13 12:37 am - OH

So i am 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I lost 6 pounds on my 2 week optifast diet and have lost 24 pounds in the 3 weeks since surgery. However most of 18 of that was in the first week. The last 2 weeks have seen about 3 pouds a week. A pretty big slow down from week one. Is this normal? Am I doing ok? Im working on getting my protien in and Have been taking all recommended vitamins. Water is my absolute savior and I know Im getting that in. I asked my doc what the "normAL" weight loss is, but he's adamant about the whole no chasing numbers thing. I guess im just looking for reassurance that im doing ok? 

Thanks!

illinois Gama D.
on 9/30/13 12:47 am

you are doing great!! keep up the great work, it is great you are getting in all your fluids and vitamins, good for your doc, there should be no norm, your body is not my body so we all are so different we will lose at a different pace, good luck on the great journey:)

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

alyssak1013
on 9/30/13 1:37 am - CO

Sounds like you are doing great!!! I actually have had almost exactly the same results and I am 3 weeks today.  When I did a follow up with my surgeon she said to expect a slow down or even plateau every couple of weeks.  She said it's completely normal your body is just adjusting to the calorie changes and it needs to do this every couple of weeks.  Glad you are getting your protein and everything in.  I am struggling with that and my vitamins taste terrible so that's a struggle too.  

Alyssa

PetHairMagnet
on 9/30/13 2:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13

It is a stall and if you search 3 week stall on the forum, I think you'll blow the servers up at OH because there are so many posts. I think if surgeons could give ONE extra piece of information to their patients, it should be THREE WEEK STALL, lol. :)

You are doing AWESOME-that is a great loss and you'll be back at it in NO TIME!

:)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 9/30/13 2:45 am - OH

24 pounds in three weeks is excellent!  maybe a bit faster than normal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mimisocks
on 9/30/13 3:29 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

I am 11 weeks out today and have averaged about 4.5 lbs a week in loss.  I may have had a stall, but didn't really notice it because I keep so active.  I do know some days are harder than others to get the protein in, but still I muddle along.  Sounds like you are doing good in your program!  Keep at it, goal in sight!angry

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Mary Catherine
on 9/30/13 4:13 am
Someone gave me this when I first started out. Through the years and with many other post-ops they have proven to be very average.

Month 1 - 20 pounds
Month 2 - 6 - 10 pounds a month
Month 7 - 12 - 5 pounds a month

Average then is 100 pounds in the first year. After that most people stop losing but maintain until sometime in the third year, then many have a bounceback of about 20 pounds. None of this is cast in iron. I understand your doctor's point of view and understand that some people have a different weight loss journey.

I do believe in being realistic. If a car does 20 miles to a gallon and I expect to get 70 miles to a gallon, I will be disappointed. If I expect to get 8 miles to a gallon, I will be elated with 20. I prefer realistic expectations.
Roo33
on 9/30/13 4:29 am - OH

Thanks everyone!! it sjust nice to get reassurance! @ Alyssa notice it reads Im working on getting my protien in.lol! I have thrown in the towel on 65 grams for now and try to get between 30 to 50 in and the more actual food I introduce to myself the more protien i make sure I get!! Yesterday I started puree and got almost 50 with eggs and my shakes! I figure I will just keep doing my best and it has to work out good! I have read multiple places that as long as I am getting 65 grams in by 3 months out I will be in good shape!

kathyshrinks
on 9/30/13 4:43 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
Congratulations! 24 pounds is fantastic! It took me 3 months to lose that much, and I ended up at 129 pounds. So I don't think you need to worry about the pace of your weight loss. Rather than focus on losing weight (which is going to happen, trust me), this is your great opportunity to focus on good habits so you can maintain that weight loss. It's a full-time job just getting the hang of this new lifestyle, anyway.

It's keeping the weight off that is the tricky part, and you will need those good habits in the years to come.

Congrats again! You are doing great!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 475 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 478 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 323 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 64 views