Straws?

Melanie C.
on 10/7/13 9:57 pm

I have noticed comments on a few posts about straws. I have not had surgery yet, but I am wondering if anyone else has a little germ issue. When in a restaurant I cant drink out of a cup without a straw. I think of all the other people that may have drank out of the cup without the straw and I just cant do it. Does anyone else have these issues and if you do how do you deal with it??

-Babydoll-
on 10/7/13 10:15 pm - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
I do and I had surgery about 8 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't eaten at a restaurant yet but I have and do still use straws. It doesnt bother me to much to drink using a straw except I mite have to burp a little more. I can deal with the burping so I don't have to drink out of a cup others I don't know may have drinking out,I don't like eating off of the silverware in a restaurant either for the same reason sometimes I will use plastic silverware. I kno it may sound a little overboard but I have seen to many dirty silverware giving to use that I just can't trust they are throughly clean.

Melanie C.
on 10/7/13 11:13 pm

That does not sound overboard to me at all!! Obviously I have the same issues. I use the silverware, but I wipe them clean with a sanitizing wipe then water and napkin. A friend of mine suggested just asking for a cup of ho****er and let them soak. but, its my issue and I dont want to be rude about it. I feel my way is a little more discreet.

poet_kelly
on 10/7/13 10:19 pm - OH

If you don't want to use a straw, nearly all restaurants have plastic, paper or styrofoam "to go" cups you can ask for.

However, there is no reason not to use a straw,  unless using one causes you to suck in a lot of air and gives you painful gas.  Most people have no trouble using straws.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melanie C.
on 10/7/13 11:16 pm

I haven't thought of that (paper or styrofoam cups). I'll probably still try the straws but if they give me trouble at least I have a another choice. Thank you!

Jodi234
on 10/7/13 11:17 pm
RNY on 03/20/13 with

Actually, you can't eat and drink at the same time so it will probably become a non-issue.  Drink something at home at least 30 minutes before going out to eat.  And after you eat, you can't drink anything for 30 minutes.   I never drink anything at restaurants.  Good luck to you!  (and I know what you mean about the germ thing. creeps me out too).   But never use a straw.

Needanewbeginning
on 10/8/13 1:00 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I was just going to say that, while I am out I rarely drink anything before my meal at a restaurant. I always just order water and they usually bring a straw as well, but, so far I haven't had one sip before or after my meal. Don't worry too much about it. I have a few times used a straw at other times, I found I burped a lot so I just stop using it. Dawn has great ideas, ask for plastic/disposable cup. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

kinny09
on 10/8/13 1:05 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

The thing about straws is just really weird to me, one of those nonsensical "rules" that like half of surgeons/nutritionists pass on to their patients. It's one of those things that either bothers you or it doesn't, but it can't actually do anything harmful to you at all. Just see how you do with it, I drink everything with a straw practically.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

chulbert
on 10/8/13 3:14 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Many surgeons recommend against straws but I've never heard a good explanation why.  Go ahead an use them.  :)

PetHairMagnet
on 10/8/13 10:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13

The only thing I don't drink out of a straw is hot coffee...I love straws and use them constantly!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 476 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 323 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 355 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics