could my blood sugar be low?

Momma1991
on 10/21/13 10:59 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

I have no history of diabetes. Tonight while out at the laundromat I experienced an out of body experience.  While waiting for my clothes to dry I felt very very warm. Then I kept getting hotter and hotter until I started sweating. Then my vision started to change and go blurry. Then I got very very lightheaded and had to sit down or I was gonna fall down. After all of it I got nauseous. Then I got cold and shaky.  I looked pale and felt horrible. This happened about 20 minutes ago. I took my gas medicine and my nauesa medicine and my stomach acid medicine. All that stuff went away now. But I feel horrible. I talked to my aunt and she said it sounds like low blood sugar. (she's a nurse) What should I do? What does it sound like? Should I call my doctor/ I know it wasn't dumping syndrome cause I didn't eat anything with sugar or food high in fat.

ebtiger24
on 10/21/13 11:11 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Could be hypoglycemia. I would go see my doctor and have them check you out. 

jenharring
on 10/21/13 11:24 am - macon, GA

Sounds like low sugars to me too. That's what I do. When's the last time you ate and what?  

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/13 11:43 am

Yeap.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kinny09
on 10/21/13 11:51 am, edited 10/21/13 11:51 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Yeah it could be low blood sugar, or low blood pressure even, it's important for them to determine which it is (if it's one of those) or a nutritional deficiency brewing, etc. I have had a few bouts of low Blood sugar, I was pre-diabetic pre-op, then off my metformin completely after surgery. But my sugars have been on the low side fasting and it definitely hits me when I go more than 4 hours not having something. I have a little beef jerky or something else protein heavy in between meals, or a shake made w/water, and for the most part it's kept things stable. But if I sleep in late in the morning (as I did today) I wake up dizzy and weak feeling because it's been too long w/out a meal.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Momma1991
on 10/21/13 12:04 pm - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

Thanks guys, I'm about to have dinner, so we'll see what happens.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/21/13 12:14 pm

If you can - get a glucometer to measure the BS.  You don't need to eat high sugar - high carb smay stimulate the pancreas and cause too much insulin and that may cause the BS drop. 

I joke that I can look at potatoes and my BS start dropping.  Even small amount (1-2 Tbs) even when eaten with proteins and aft may trigger my body response and BS may drop 1-3 hrs after a meal.  Not eating enough - like waiting more than 4 hrs to eat - may cause the same thing. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 481 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics