Movies, but no popcorn

averybyrd
on 11/2/13 1:59 am

I want to go see a couple movies soon, but I'm so torn. I LOVE popcorn. It's one of the only things I'm constantly dying for. Every time someone makes a bag at work, I want to cry. 

But I know I can't eat my way through a tub of popcorn at the movies. I'm not above sneaking in my own snack, but I don't even know where to start with that. What would be a good substitute when what I want is buttery, salty, badforyou popcorn?

How do you handle this?

poet_kelly
on 11/2/13 2:08 am - OH

Last time I went to the movies, I took some roasted chickpeas in my purse.  They were salty, crunchy, and yummy.  And with protein.

In the past, I've eaten movie popcorn.  I only go to the  movies a couple times a year and eating movie popcorn two or three times a year is not going to hurt me.  But it usually ends up causing my blood sugar to crash about the time the movie is ending and then I feel crappy.  So last time I went, I decided to take roasted chickpeas instead.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TurnThePage
on 11/2/13 2:14 am

My choice is to forego new movies until I get my new, good eating habits so established that I won't be tempted. I also really limit my prime time TV watching to PBS and special events. I found that there are 20+ food commercials PER HOUR during prime time and for at least the liquid diet phase, it was making me crazy head hungry!  I read, I combed the cats, I cleaned the tile grout in the bathroom--anything to distract myself.

There are lots of things to do with friends besides going to the movies and putting yourself in the way of temptation. You can always see those movies when they come out on DVD.  Even if you take a healthy snack, the theater will reek of popcorn and butter. You might as well sign up for a guided tour of a chocolate factory!  LOL

Take care and be kind to yourself!

Dee.spunk
on 11/2/13 2:20 am - Sacramento, CA
I've taken my own popcorn. They have these 100 calorie packs that I take. I have also taken almonds or cashews.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

MrsLitch
on 11/2/13 2:30 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I personally have been eating popcorn since about 3 months out. I don't eat enough for it to worry me. I have the same issue as Kelly with crashing later if I don't eat protein with it, before it, or after it with in a reasonable amount of time to avoid the crash so I will typically eat a couple of slices of lunch meat or some jerky after I have my allotted amount. I also find I don't crave things as badly if I allow myself to eat what it is I'm craving in moderation.

I'm only speaking for myself but I didn't have this surgery to never eat things I love again I want to be healthy mentally as well as physically so I find ways to keep my calories where I need them while getting in my protein and having an indulgence here and there, not daily by any means but when the urge arises. This week it's pumpkin bread oh I love fall!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/13 3:07 am

I will tell you one thing they do not make the popcorn there they bring it in big garbage bags then put it in the popcorn machine.So that grosses me out. Are we allowed to have those pop-chips.I think they are better than popcorn.But they are one thing I can not have in my house.I think there are so many obstacles that we worry about then we can see that we can get through them. If you really want popcorn ask your doctor and make sure it is portioned.Best of luck to you.

noftessa0401
on 11/2/13 6:55 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12
That's interesting. The theaters I go to actually pop the popcorn there - you can see it popping in the machines.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

Lora R.
on 11/2/13 4:23 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I am just like you, love my popcorn!  I haven't had any since way before surgery.  My husband and I went probably 3-4 weeks ago, and I just told myself it will probably make me sick, so not worth it.  Maybe check out the popcorn puffs.  In the dreaded chip aisle.  Popcorn without the seed part.

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

gooddaysunshine
on 11/2/13 4:28 am
RNY on 04/30/13

I'm with ya...popcorn was one of my absolute favs.  I used to gorge myself on it regularly.  I threw away all my popcorn-making supplies the other day because I knew I would not eat it again.  I love the way I look and feel now so much more than how I felt after I had eaten way too much popcorn.  I just know I cannot eat that way anymore.  Nuts are my snack of choice now and I love them.

JLS_NJ
on 11/2/13 4:33 am
RNY on 10/15/13
I've never seen roasted chick peas, where are they usually found?

Over the past 2 years I've taken snack bags of celery & carrots sticks that's chilled in the fridge the night before in sal****er.

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

Most Active
Recent Topics