Anyone have a Nissan they had to undo for wls?

krabbyhermit
on 11/7/13 8:51 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and my surgery won't be until Feb. 2014.

My question is for anyone who may have had a Nissan fundaplication.  I had one 15 yrs ago, and my surgeon says he has to un-wrap it before he can do the bypass. Has anyone had this done, and how did it go for you? Have you had heartburn since? Did it make your recovery time longer? 

Due to the Nissan, I will probably have to have the full RNY instead of the sleeve. Not sure how I feel about that, but with a sleeve, he says there is more chance of heartburn.

In all my days ahead I vow to be kind to myself. This shall also be a new and exciting experience. 

VintageChick
on 11/7/13 9:21 am
I had a TIF for reflux prior to surgery. It's certainly different from Nissan so I can't speak to that as my surgeon just worked around it. What I can say, my surgeon (and a second opinion surgeon) recommended RNY over VSG because of my acid and bile reflux. Since surgery I've had no acid reflux, but I do wake up with a bile-ish taste on occasion. I have a friend dealing with serious reflux after the sleeve. I'm so sorry for her, and double glad I chose RNY when seeing what she's dealing with. Many people seem to have no reflux issues with the sleeve, but it appears those of us with reflux to begin with have better quality of life if we go with RNY. I was very disappointed to discover VSG wasn't recommended, but at 6 months out now I'm so far very pleased with RNY.

lap RNY 5-15-13

krabbyhermit
on 11/8/13 12:29 am

Thank you for your reply. 

In all my days ahead I vow to be kind to myself. This shall also be a new and exciting experience. 

MsBatt
on 11/8/13 1:58 am

Over on the DS board, we have an occassional poster named Walter *****fused to have his Nissan undone. He doctor-shopped until he found a surgeon who would/could do a modified Sleeve while leaving the Nissan intact. You might want to talk with him. I *think* his surgeon was Anthone in...Nebraska, maybe?

Anyway, go to the DS board and make a post calling Walter. I'm sure he'll be glad to talk with you.

Most Active
Recent Topics