starting to dread food?

Roo33
on 11/13/13 11:23 am - OH

Eating has become such a chore since surgery and days like today i find myself feeling bummed about it. It seems like I always have this tightness in my stomach, or a dull ache. When I eat i have to count chews, take small bites, and majorly pay attention to every label that comes my way. Nevermind all the restrictions I have.

I know that this makes me sound ungrateful. I am not. This surgery has come with so many positives. I feel great, look great and and I am slowly taking my health back...... but somedays I genuinely feel sad about not being able to eat like everyone else.

I also sometimes worry that I am going to wither down to some way too thin, big headed girl, with super thin hair and look all pale and hollow. 

This is not every day! just every now and again I just cant help but feel bummed. Im sure its because I am a food addict and mis getting my "fix" so I guess I am just looking for some reassurance.

Is this normal? 

Incase your wondering almost 3 months out 50 pounds down

Thanks!!

QoftheU
on 11/13/13 11:52 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Well, not knowing you, and only having minimal success with my almost-removed LapBand (revision 12/8 to RNY), I can tell you that it IS hard to say goodbye to our addictions. But they are JUST THAT - addictions...Not that knowing it takes away the cravings - au contraire - it seems as if it makes it worse! The good news is, the further out you get, the better it gets. Do you have any friends who are addicts of anything else? I do, and she has told me that now alcohol (her demon) is "just not an option". And after all these years of being clean and successful, she just doesn't think about it. Yes, when she's with someone and THEY are drinking there's a part of her that (sometimes but rarely) wishes she could join in the fun again, but would she trade that short feeling for where she is now? NO F'ING WAY BABY. And so I think we have to look at it the same way. We sacrificed our health to eat and drink all we wanted right? I mean that's how we GOT here in the first place! So isn't it better to think of sacrificing the very thing that got us here to REGAIN our health? Something to think about!
I know it doesn't take away the sense of deprivation, nor our mourning for what was, but you did this for a very good, wise reason - hang on to that when you want to eat bad things. To quote a line from Indiana Jones: Choose Wisely.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

AnchorsAweigh
on 11/13/13 9:37 pm

I had surgery in April and when it hit me that I would never eat a big bowl of pasta again I cried and cried. (I'm sure it wasn't just the pasta that set me off...) I really thought I had made a huge mistake by having the surgery. Now, seven months later, I have no regrets at all. I find that I can enjoy some of the foods I thought I could never eat again, but in very different portions. I also find I don't care about them like I did. I actually crave things like high-protein cereal instead of things like M&M's. Also, you will adjust to types and amounts of foods you can eat so you won't always have to dissect every portion. I know some people say you always have to measure, I'm not one of them. I measure occasionally to make sure I'm keeping my quantities in check, but not every time. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the more you lose, the less regret you will feel. It actually gets easier the further out you get. My mantra that got me through--'Nothing tastes as good as being thin.' Good luck!

Ocalasam
on 11/13/13 10:19 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I totally agree with the last poster (Anchors Aweigh).  The further out you get and the longer you stay away from carbs, the less you actually miss and crave them.  My cravings have totally changed.  I never think about pasta or breads.  I crave pistachios and other nuts.  I replaced my sweet craving with more healthy choices.  I have a Skinny Cow salted caramel pretzel ice cream bar almost every night - it's reasonable.  Sometimes I go out to eat and something tastes so good and I am full after a few bites and kinda bummed, but I know if I continue to eat, I will feel horrible.  You really do get used to it.  It's not that bad.  I made my family shredded bbq chicken sandwiches, salad and mac n cheese last night.  I had about 6 small bites of the chicken and a very small salad and was totally full and satisfied.  I had a bite of the mac n cheese and that was enough to satisfy my craving.  It's hard to believe, but true. It will get better.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/14/13 5:08 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 14, 2013 at 6:19 AM Pacific Time, Ocalasam wrote:

I totally agree with the last poster (Anchors Aweigh).  The further out you get and the longer you stay away from carbs, the less you actually miss and crave them.  My cravings have totally changed.  I never think about pasta or breads.  I crave pistachios and other nuts.  I replaced my sweet craving with more healthy choices.  I have a Skinny Cow salted caramel pretzel ice cream bar almost every night - it's reasonable.  Sometimes I go out to eat and something tastes so good and I am full after a few bites and kinda bummed, but I know if I continue to eat, I will feel horrible.  You really do get used to it.  It's not that bad.  I made my family shredded bbq chicken sandwiches, salad and mac n cheese last night.  I had about 6 small bites of the chicken and a very small salad and was totally full and satisfied.  I had a bite of the mac n cheese and that was enough to satisfy my craving.  It's hard to believe, but true. It will get better.

Totally agree!  My husband and I were having one of our 'couple connection' chats recently and the topic was how we felt WLS had changed our lives and we both said we thought giving up breads, pasta and rice would be so difficult. I literally don't even WANT those items now. Though I was in IKEA and smelled cinnamon rolls post-op and all but dove over the counter to get one, but I realized it was my head talking and I told it to shut up and kept on going. :)  Now, I burn a candle from Bath and Body Works called French Baguette and many people who come in my house say "YUM, fresh bread!" and I don't even realize that it should smell 'yummy', I just enjoy the pleasant scent. Hope that makes sense. 

Best wishes to you!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/13 2:26 am

I am only four weeks out and sometimes I feel this way about food.I try to keep a picture in my head of these small cheap plastic chairs that I afraid to sit on in a restaurant on the water near us.But there is noway I would ever sit in them with the fear of breaking one.I know this sounds kind of loopy but it does keep me focused on the big picture.

Roo33
on 11/14/13 7:14 am - OH
Thanks everyone!! Its nice to bend an understanding ear every now and again! Makes me feel alot better knowing my feelings are understood and "normal" lol
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/13 8:12 pm

I am pre-op, waiting to have my crap band removed and revised to bypass. The people that I know that are 2 years plus out eat like normal people, just much smaller amounts. My son eats everything except chicken. He can't tolerate it. He does eat steak, though. He eats a little, though and always save room for a taste of desert. Even when he goes to dinner, he asks for the to go box first. he leaves a spoonful of each thing on his plate and packs everything up before he starts to eat. i asked him why he does it before, and he said he never wants to overeat and hurt his little stomach. He really has his eating down and is enjoying life immensely! I'm inspired by his habits, atittude, and success.

proudmami135
on 11/17/13 8:39 am - OH
RNY on 09/16/13

I am nine weeks Monday and I have really started to resent eating. It's a chore and I hate it. My stomach is so overly sensitive to everything, I am very limited as to what I can eat and I'm bored with the flavors. I hate feeling like this. but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 462 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 55 views
Recent Topics