Help! Hungry all the time!

okinawamama53
on 11/14/13 11:57 am

I'm 4 1/2 months out and lately it seems that I'm hungry a lot. This seems early. It makes me nervous that I feel this way. Any advice? 

netnay
on 11/14/13 12:09 pm
RNY on 03/27/13
Are you exercising more? I was told that sometimes after a good workout our bodies are needing more food.

'View

QoftheU
on 11/14/13 1:25 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Are you working out and drinking a protein shake immediately after? You burn more fat and build more muscle if you do.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

SkinnyScientist
on 11/14/13 6:10 pm

Oh Sweetie,

I am so sorry!  I feel this way ALL the time and I am pre-op!!.

My recommendations- 1) call your surgeon 2) call your endo (it could be hormones, like thyroid, ovaries...or something as weird as your LH is out of kilter with something else causing a PMS type phenomenon) and 3) call your NUT.

Go to your surgeons support group.

You have to figure this out NOW. Dont let it (weight gain) creep up on you.

EAT more protein (i.e. the solid stuff...meat not shakes) and less carbs.

Sarahakers11
on 11/14/13 8:47 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I am at just over 5 months and have started experiencing this as well.  I am trying to move my routine so my protien shakes and meals are no more then 3 hours apart. I  think its realted to my workouts. I have always worked out heavy since about 8 - 10 weeks out but lately I am able to do more and go farther and I think I am building a lot of muscle.  I am basing that on weight change vice inches lost and body fat percentage dropping.  I think the more muscle I have the more my metabolism is faster the hungrier I get.  I am hoping by making sure i am doing some type of protein based snack or shake every 3 hours I may be able to curb it without adding to many calories. 

Thoughts?

Sarah

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

PetHairMagnet
on 11/14/13 10:12 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Around 4 months I had more head hunger, but realized I was not actually hungry. I had my meal and if I distracted myself (or drank a large glass of water) I found I really was not hungry but thirsty or needing to start another activity.

Ask yourself if it is actual hunger and look at your food diary to see if the days you are hungry you are eating different things than the days you have more consistent satiety. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 11/14/13 11:56 pm - OH

When you say you're hungry a lot, what does that mean, exactly?  How much are you eating and how often?  How many calories do you get in a typical day?  It's normal to start feeling hungry again and to need to eat more as you get further out.  That can be scary, but it's normal.  So there may not be a problem.  Now, if you're really eating a huge amount of food (not just that it seems like a lot compared to what you could eat right after surgery, but really a huge amount), there might be a problem.  But maybe it's just a matter of getting used to eating more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 70 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views