How did you afford it?

PetHairMagnet
on 11/21/13 11:17 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I cannot even imagine your frustration and disappointment. 

Have you considered a change in your insurance to a plan that does cover WLS? It is open enrollment time for so many right now that you might want to consider that if another plan is an option at your work or that of your spouse. 

And on the insurance front...is your policy one that covers WLS and you have been denied, or it just flat out does not cover WLS? You can appeal a decision of denial IF they cover it within your policy. 

HUGS TO YOU--I would have been one hot mess if I'd made the choice to do this and then could not do this. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 11/21/13 11:46 pm - OH

I wouldn't have been able to afford it if my insurance didn't pay for it.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  I would be really upset if my  mother said she'd help with the cost and then backed out.  Any chance she  might change her mind?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pastorkerry
on 11/22/13 12:08 am - GA
RNY on 12/20/12

I had to pay out of pocket for my RNY also. I had family help along with loans and retirement  funds. I would sell everything  I have if I had to do it again. 

Also, people on here have had great experiences and success going to Mexico at a fraction of the cost.  Look them up on the Mexico forum. 

Jen Lyn
on 11/22/13 2:03 am
RNY on 11/11/13

We took it out of savings.  
I have heard about online donation sites where you ask strangers to pay for x. 

Jostamo
on 11/22/13 2:22 am

I know this must be very frustrating, I am sorry! 

At my current company, WLS was excluded from the medical plan. However, an employee asked our benefit director about it, and explained the need (his wife needed a revision surgery) etc.. Our benefit director (my peer) called our insurance company and found out that it wasn't very expensive to add the benefit to the plan. Because he had an employee who needed the surgery, he was able to get permission to add WLS to one of our company medical plans.

You might try talking to HR/Benefits and see if this is a possibility, many companies are pushing hard to get employees healthy, and they may not realize they have a exclusion on their plan.

I would try this approach..

Personally, I self paid.. I borrowed from a 401k plan.. I also did a lot of research,and chose to have surgery in Mexico.. I have no regrets!

Good luck!

Nancy B.
on 11/22/13 2:58 am - ND

I'm sorry that your insurance plan does not cover WLS - that is so frustrating for and others in that situation.  I know I would have had trouble affording the surgery if my insurance had not covered it.  Have you looked into finding a financial counselor that can help you clear up your credit so you can qualify for a loan in the future? (many different social service agencies offer this service for free or on a sliding fee scale)  It might take awhile but it should feel good be taking steps in the right direction.  Anyway - will be wishing the best for you!  Good Luck

ShrinkingJoe
on 11/22/13 3:39 am

Talk to your surgeon's office about self-pay.  You might be able to negotiate a much better price.

The economics go like this:  Your surgeon already has a fix cost-to-serve in his/her practice.  This cost will not change based on adding one more patient (i.e. you).  The surgeon also has a variable cost that includes things like his/her time, supplies, hospital charges, etc.  If the fixed costs don't change, it is possible that your surgeon will still make money by selling you this service at a substantial discount - all else being equal.

StacyAnn07
on 11/22/13 6:48 am - Del City, OK

The $20,000 is his "discounted" rate. He says the surgery costs $125,000 on average. He seems really interested in money and no so much on helping people out in that department :(

ShrinkingJoe
on 11/22/13 7:01 am

OK -

Try this website:

http://www.medibid.com

It is a service for self-paying patients where doctors "bid" to provide patients with services in a reverse-auction.  I think is nation wide, so if there is a doctor out there willing to add you to his/her schedule at a price you can afford, this might work.

If you try it, let us know.

StacyAnn07
on 11/22/13 12:26 pm - Del City, OK

Oh wow! I didn't even know there was such a thing. Thank you so much!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 499 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 499 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 372 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 87 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?