Weird taste in mouth!

iluvpugs22
on 12/4/13 1:12 pm

Sometimes I get this strange taste in my mouth.  I guess it's kind of metallic or maybe smokey.  I can't even describe it properly.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any way to resolve it?

MickeyDee
on 12/4/13 2:25 pm

You are experiencing Ketosis;  this is from burning so much fat, and the byproducts are eliminated from your body via waste products, such as urine and your breath.  It'll go away eventually, but in the meantime flushing with a lot of water will help (sipsipsip) and breath mints.

iluvpugs22
on 12/4/13 10:08 pm

Oh thank you!!!  It's so strange!!  

PetHairMagnet
on 12/5/13 3:27 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Agree with the above and for me, brushing my teeth many times a day helped. I brushed my tongue and roof of my mouth more diligently than I ever have before as well!  I hit a week of no loss and it was the week my breath wasn't funky, so I am excited for the halitosis to return and me get back to serious fat burning. :) So there is a positive for you. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jen Lyn
on 12/5/13 1:45 am
RNY on 11/11/13

At 3 weeks mine lessened and I could taste foods and drinks.  :0)

iluvpugs22
on 12/5/13 1:52 am

Ugh I'm 4 weeks post op & it actually just started this past weekend!  It's horrible!!

cabin111
on 12/5/13 9:17 am

It taste like lighter fluid...Because it is lighter fluid.  It's called acetone.  I just pulled this off the internet...

Ketosis is a condition in which levels of ketones (ketone bodies) in the blood are elevated. Ketones are formed when glycogen stores in the liver have run out.

The ketones - acetoacetate and β-hydroxybutyrate - are used for energy. Ketones are small carbon fragments that are the fuel created by the breakdown of fat stores. Ketosis is potentially a serious condition if keytone levels go too high. 

However, when the body is in ketosis the individual tends to feel less hungry, and will probably eat less than he/she might otherwise do. The body switches from being a carbohydrate-burning organism into a fat-burning one. The fat stores become a primary energy source, and the person loses weight.That is why low-carb diets have become popular, and effective, especially among obese people.

The modern human body in most societies usually metabolizes glucose from carbohydratesfor energy purposes, rather than energy from fat. If there is not enough glucose (from carbohydrates) in the bloodstream the body draws on fat stores for fuel, causing the appearance of ketones in the blood. Ketones are produced by the liver from fatty acids. 

We need proteins and fats for building and repairing tissue and cells - proteins and fats can also be sources of energy. If necessary, the body can get all its energy from fats and proteins. 

Our brain can use glucose or ketones for energy; it cannot generally burn fat for energy. A study carried out at the Psychology Department of Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts found that women on low- or zero-carb diets performed worse in memory or thinking teststhan women whose diets were not low in carbs.

When there are plenty of carbohydrates in the body, it breaks them down into glucose, which is then converted into energy and transported into the cells of our body. 

If glucose cannot be broken down, as may be the case if the insulin levels are too low, or if there is a lack of glucose, then the body has to break down stored fat and convert it into energy. Metabolizing fat raises blood ketone levels, leading to ketosis. Ketosis can occur with Type 1 diabetes (not enough insulin), alcoholism, starvation, and with a low-carb, high fat/protein diet. 

Ketones consist of acetone, acetoacetate or beta-hydroxybutyrate. Very high ketone levels can be toxic, making the blood more acid, and may damage such organs as the kidneys and liver. 

The human body tries to lower acetone (a ketone) levels by breathing it out, causing a sweet and fruity breath. We also reduce keytone levels by expelling them through our urine.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics