The Dietician is NOT Always Right!

hmtmomof4
on 12/6/13 9:44 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

So I am 4 weeks post op.  I have been struggling very badly for the past 2 weeks with extreme thirst...so bad I can barely sleep ! My mouth is always soooo dry, my skin is cracking and I lierally pee once per 24hrs....all this despite drinking 10+  Cups of water per day.

Nurse says she has never had a patient like this. Her theory is that I am in heavy ketosis and that's what is causing the thirst. She wants me to up my carbs so she suggests a turkey wrap for lunch....biggest mistake ever! I had 3 small bites and felt sooo uncomfortable. So much pressure and pain....and then I vomited it all up! Instant relief! I chewed it well , but obviously my body is not ready for that! Ouch!

Also tonight my 5 year old twins started running fevers and throwing up! I'm soo scared of catching this as I think it will land me in the hospital. Anyone else deal with a stomach flu? How do you stay hydrated enough??

thanks

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Jen 1959
on 12/6/13 9:48 am - NH

Could you try sugar free popsicles?   Small amounts of Crystal Light?

poet_kelly
on 12/6/13 10:10 am - OH

Are you able to drink more?  Or are you having trouble getting more fluids than that in?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 12/6/13 10:45 am

It amazes me that someone a month out is told to eat a turkey wrap.  But my surgery was six years ago and I did not eat a wrap for over a year. 

You are going through a lot and having sick twins makes my heart ache of you.  If we were neighbors, I would be taking care of your house and kids while you rested.  I remember being quite dehydrated the first weeks and kept a water bottle with me.  I sipped all day and sipped whenever I woke up at night. 

If this is ketosis, then a small amount of juice mixed with water might help to tame it down.  Do everything with caution to avoid vomiting and dumping.  I do hope there is someone who can help you and that you get the rest that you need.

cajungirl
on 12/6/13 11:12 am

I wonder if getting IV fluids will help you?  Is it possible you are so far behind you are only able to manage not getting more dehydrated and not get above the curve. 

Maybe brushing your teeth more often will also help if it is related to ketosis. 

Sorry you got sick on the wrap. That does seem pretty aggressive for someone 4 weeks out. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MrsLitch
on 12/6/13 11:33 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I wouldn't be speaking to a dietician I would call my PCP and surgeon both to see why you are drinking 80 oz of water and have signs of dehydration such at thirst and not peeing. Where is this water going if you are not peeing it out?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

birdiegirl
on 12/6/13 8:57 pm

The first thing I thought of when I read your post was your kidneys......what you are describing sounds very disturbing to me

Are you retaining water?......when you take your finger and pu**** into your leg does it stay indented for a bit?

Urinating once per day is NOT even remotely normal.....and says more to me re the health of your renal system then your albeit limited amount of liquid consumption

GET to your family doc.....or a walk in clinic if you are seriously only urinating once per day....it must be almost brown it would be so dark

I am not a medical proffesional.....but I do have experience with kidney info.....based on your description of your symtems....I would react to this immediately

Good luck

barb.k
on 12/6/13 11:38 pm - Williamson, GA

Are you diabetic? 

barb.k

pamkb
on 12/6/13 11:51 pm - Crestview, FL
Skip the nutritionist and talk to your surgeon and PCP!

Like another poster said, sounds like something isn't working quite right with your renal system. That is not solved by eating food, especially food that isn't right for 4 weeks post op.

None of us mean to be an alarmist, but please seek medical advice/consult ASAP.

I hope your kiddos are feeling better soon.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

healthycarolina
on 12/7/13 4:23 am
RNY on 11/18/13

I specifically asked my surgeon what I should do if I caught a virus.  He told me until I was at least 6 months out that I should immediately call the emergency number and they would give me IV fluids.  He said that in the early stages following surgery that a virus could me severe dehydration and that you would never be able to catch up on fluids without IV's.

Wanda