Grits / Dumping ??

Bibi723
on 12/16/13 10:30 am - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

So last night i decided to try grits as its part of my stage 2 Soft /puree after a few bites i felt as if it was way too heavy on my pouch so i stopped. 5min or so after that  i was balling in pain and all biologic fluids begun to run along with gas and burping non stop. it lasted all night. It made me super weak. I am thinking this is Dumping ?? Has any one dumped on grits ??

Preparation of grits was with water no butter only a lil salt pepper and cheese . 

I have stuck to my dr recommendations so this was very unexpected. 

thank you in advance 

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BibiWLSDiary/

dawgtchr
on 12/16/13 10:36 am
RNY on 06/11/13

It took me four months to eat grits.  They would hurt going down and I made mine "soupy" with no butter and a little cheese. Give it time.... I haven't dumped on grits but on chicken and tuna, especially when I ate them too fast.  Definite wake up call to SLOW down. 

illinois Gama D.
on 12/16/13 12:02 pm

NO, you are not dumping, you will sweat, your heart will beat out of your chest, you will get flushed, you will not vomit, YOU WILL THINK YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.  Sounds like they did not agree with you  , hit the intestines and they said "heyyyyy, NOOO"  Sometime you eat to fast, swallow  to much at a time, many reasons for this, I am sure i wouldnt try them for a few weeks again,

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Bibi723
on 12/16/13 12:28 pm - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

But i was flushed and sweating i did not puke but my mouth did water a whole lot.and i did feel as if i was going to die my heart did feel as if it was going to pop so much was going on. I was exhausted all day today. I will be waiting to try them aging  maybe a few months down the road. I made them soupy and ate from a baby spoon and only had about 3 bites doubt that was too much. .. Thank you for your input . I sure hope that if its dumping or not that i never want to feel like that aging. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/16/13 2:19 pm - OH

Although grits are carb heavy and therefore COULD cause dumping (since you added that you had the racing heart, etc. which you didn't initially mention), but it seems extremely unlikely that 3 bites of soupy grits would be anywhere enough to make you dump.  Did you add anything to the grits?

Dumping usually does NOT involve vomiting, by the way (just for future reference), since it happens when the food hits the intestine.  The food is too far down to vomit it up.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Bibi723
on 12/16/13 2:34 pm - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

I only added salt pepper and cheese. I have no idea what it was weather it was dumping or not but it is a feeling i never want to feel aging. 

TXKashmir
on 12/16/13 8:51 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

I disagree with the others - I think you did experience dumping. I dump on any kind of simple carb (including grits). While I could totally handle a small serving right now (five years out), it did not take much to make me dump early out. I consider this a blessing because, although I like sweets, I was much more of a bread/pasta/potato, etc. addict. I am sorry you had to go through that - I know how much it sucks - hope you're feeling better!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Miss Liss
on 12/16/13 10:10 pm

Any simple carbs can cause dumping for me.  And grits most certainly do cause me to dump.  I am almost 10 years out, and the only way that I can eat grits is to combine it with protein.  I can only eat a very small spoonful even doing that.  I have always been carb sensitive since day 1 from surgery.  You may be that way too.  It is trial and error when you are new out and trying to figure out what you can and can't tolerate.  We are all different.  It does get easier the farther out you get.  Good luck.  Sorry you had a bad night.  I hope you feel better today. 

Bibi723
on 12/16/13 11:02 pm - IL
RNY on 11/20/13

Thank you ladies. I am feeling much better today. I spoke with my Nut and she said it is very possible that i did. I have been very sensitive since day 1 even to artificial sweeteners.  I cant even have juice even if watered down makes me feel very sick but the grits made me feel the worse. I now know to be very careful with all that i eat.. Once aging thank you. Its amazing to me how we can all have the same surgery and all live very different experience .

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 356 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 281 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views