Swelling and dilation

tbearluv
on 12/20/13 11:28 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Hi, I'm back, after another brief hospital stay. Was not advancing with new foods in my diet so I made a frantic call to my doctor's office and said something is not right.  They finally listened to me and my doctor scheduled an EGD for the next day. After the procedure he told me that after the hundred of cases he has done, I have excessive swelling in my new stomach, something he has not seen before and could be due to my previous hospital stay for dehydration and/or my recent bouts with nausea and throwing up. He said he did a dilation during the EGD and immediately had me do an upper GI after that EGD. The upper GI did not yield good results because the barium was not passing through my stomach. He immediately admitted me and started me on acid reducers and steroid injections. After being in the hospital all night, and having the steroid injections and able to drink water and broth, jello the next day and after seeing on the xray that the barium did finally pass through several places into my colon and what not he released me. 

So I have to make sure I drink plenty of water and drink only protein shakes for the next two weeks, and popsicles....pretty much my pre-op diet. Has anyone experienced this problem? My doctor said he is not sure why this is happening but he does not want to fight it and just give my stomach time to heal. He said doing the pre-op diet and having the steroids in my system should get me over this little hump and back on track. I was erally down yesterday but now and doing what I have to do to get over this. Another question I have is does anyone know of any sugar free bomb pops, you know the ones that look like a space ship and its red, white and blue. I had some in the hospital, but I don't think they were sugar free. I really liked them and the ones I saw in the store had 7 grams of fat and I'm too scared to chance it and get them. 

Thanks for any comments on this subject...I'm really concerned about my situation. 

MickeyDee
on 12/20/13 6:10 pm

Wow, sounds like you've been through the mill.  It's not uncommon for sensitive tissues to swell after surgery, so I'm glad he listened to you.

Check out some sugar-free juices and make your own popsicles.  That way you don't have to sweat oddball stuff in your foods.  These would count as liquid, too. 

Check out the Men's forum on this site, too.  Click on the Forums label, go to the bottom and click on "All Forums", then find the alphabetical listing for "Men".  There's some good guys there, and everyone is ready to pat you on the back for your "FARTS"  (Fabulous, Amazing, Really Terrific Stuff) 

PetHairMagnet
on 12/20/13 8:28 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

7 grams of fat in a popsicle? That is WAY too much, IMO. A sugar free pop should be fat free or a gram at most. I would almost guarantee the bomb pops you were given had sugar and that would have me seeing red after bariatric surgery, personally!

I buy the Popsicle brand tropical and 'regular' sugar free pops, 15 calories each, and they are VERY good, IMO. Target has buy 3 get one 1 free on the 20 pack boxes right now. 

Glad that you were seen and I hope that this is the start to a great new path for you! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

RNY on 10/21/13

I wonder if he meant 7 grams of carbs or sugars (just checked the nutritional info for bomb pops and they have 7 sugars and 10 carbs). Would popsicles even have 7 grams of fat, seeing as they are mainly flavored water?

SteveWebb
on 12/21/13 1:12 am - NC

Hang in there buddy. Hope you get strong soon and have a merry christmas

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/13 5:11 am - WI

So sorry to hear about this. I have not had that, however for the past week, I have been bringing up a lot of mucus. My stomach is so sore, from dry heaving and bringing up mucus. Finally my surgeon gave me something for the nausea and I am on another medication to thin out the mucus, so it will pass through my pouch. My surgeon also told me, that he has never had a patient, that has gone through bringing up mucus. Yesterday, I dry heaved and brought up mucus 7 times and I told my husband, that I couldn't bear to do this one more time. So my husband told our surgeon, something had to be done. Today, I have not had one episode, so hopefully the meds are helping! I hope everything gets better for you. Walmart does sale a bag of sugar free popcicles, so they would be fine. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics