.? About having my surgery with my Sister

Naomi P.
on 12/23/13 8:11 pm
RNY on 04/21/14

They called yesterday and said everything was fine for me but my sister there is a problem .

There is a new Dr

. And he is not yet in her insurance's system.

Do you think I should still have mine ? We have been doing this the whole time together.First I said yes now I feel so bad.

She said they still might get it in the system she might be a day or two after me .

I really want this but I feel like I am being SELFISH.

She wants me to get it done so she says.I know it is up to me but I wanted to hear some of your COMMENTS...

Oh and she even called the Insurance. .And she asked why the regular Dr. Can't do it but they said not....

•  

poet_kelly
on 12/23/13 8:38 pm - OH

I definitely think you should still have surgery.  Maybe it would be nice if you and your sister could both do it at the same time, but I don't see why your surgery should depend on her having surgery.  Or the other way around.  If something happened that you couldn't have your surgery as planned, would you expect your sister to cancel hers?  I think that would be selfish.  You should be having WLS for you, not for your sister or for anyone else.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/23/13 10:27 pm - OH

If the doctor is still not in your sister's insurance company's system, I would certainly not delay your own surgery.  

Health care providers getting on insurance panels can be a ridiculously over-complicated process and can take a long time if there is any kind of snafu or if the doctor fails to meet any of the insurance company's requirements (or fails to provide any of the necessary documentation). If you wait for that, you could end up waiting several months.  There is also a possibility (although remote) that the surgeon might not meet her insurance company's requirements and might never get on it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 12/24/13 1:28 am - OH

And if you delayed your own surgery for several months, you might have problems because you insurance approval is only good for so long, plus you  might end up having to repeat certain tests if it had been too long since you'd have them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 12/23/13 10:34 pm

It is hard for you to have to go ahead of her, but if the situation were reversed, would you expect her to wait for you?

If things work out and you are only a day or so apart, then you will have most of the experience together.  If she ends up being significantly behind you, then you will have the experience to help her. 

There will never be perfect timing for anything.  Though highly unlikely, your own surgeon could get ill, have an accident, or insurance company conflict. 

Take the opportunity that you have and go with it.  You are not being selfish, you are being practical and exercising good common sense.

Naomi P.
on 12/23/13 10:47 pm
RNY on 04/21/14

thank you all for your advice and I am doing this for ME BUT  I didn't want to hurt my Sister as I am the baby in the family and Trust me 6 older and not one of them would ever hurt me 

and she she talked to me again and she said most Deffently to do it and she will be there for me every step of the way.  Again Thank you

•  

VintageChick
on 12/24/13 1:16 am

Do it! You never know when insurance rules may change for you. I delayed my original surgery back in 2001 for 4 months to accommodate a better schedule, and the BCBC WLS rule for my husband's company changed.  I finally just received coverage again this year. 

She she can help you afterward rather than being in recovery herself, and you can do the same for her. You're so very lucky to have supportive, close siblings! 

lap RNY 5-15-13

Naomi P.
on 12/24/13 2:08 am
RNY on 04/21/14

THANK YOU

•  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?