5000 iu D3 softjels are fine

browneyes65
on 12/26/13 2:13 am - IN

I talked to nutritionist and she told me those are fine to take.

poet_kelly
on 12/26/13 2:18 am - OH

The issue is that they have oil inside, and oil is a fat, and RNY patients malabsorb fats.  That means you won't absorb vitamins full that are in oil.  You'll absorb some of it, just not all of it.  It might be fine with your nutritionist if you don't absorb the full amount of D3 in those soft gels.  Is that OK with you?  See, it wouldn't be OK with me because I want to know I am absorbing as much as possible.  But the important things is whether or not that's fine with you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 12/26/13 3:05 am - IN

I did some research to and found out that they were not good for weight loss patients. I don't know why she would say that.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/26/13 7:56 am - OH

The unfortunate fact is that many nutritionists aren't well educated about post-RNY nutrition and vitamin supplementation.  She may not know that we malabsorb fat (I would hope she would, but have heard of NUTs that dont know other basic things about RNY!) or she may not know that the soft gels have oil in them (unlikely, I would think).  Most likely, she simply hasn't put two and two together to realize that, because of those things, these aren't a good choice for us.

Even if someone doesn't mind not absorbing all of it, the bigger problem is that there is no way to know how much you ARE absorbing, so you have no idea what your actual necessary dose is which can be problematic if you switch to a dry D3 pill.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

browneyes65
on 12/26/13 8:57 am - IN

Do you think we always take that much 5000iu, or does that change later ?

poet_kelly
on 12/26/13 9:07 am - OH

It depends on your labs.  Most RNY patients seem to end up needing at least 10,000 IU D3 a day.  Some need more.  A few need less.  I have to take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week to maintain a good level.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/26/13 5:02 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On December 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

It depends on your labs.  Most RNY patients seem to end up needing at least 10,000 IU D3 a day.  Some need more.  A few need less.  I have to take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week to maintain a good level.

I take 10k a day to keep mine in the high 90s. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/26/13 9:18 am - OH

It seems that the vast majority of people take at least that much daily.  It is common to find people taking 50,000 two or three times per week (and I have not heard of anyone being able to significantly drop their dosage of any vitamins long term).  The body isn't able to adapt with vitamins as it can with the caloric malabsorption where you gradually absorb more.  The area of the intestine that do es the majority of the vitamin absorption is bypassed and only certain areas are able to absorb certain nutrients.

I personally take 50,000 units twice a week to keep my level between 80 and 100. For a while I was taking it three times a week but that put me at 136, which made my PCP nervous.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/13 7:52 am

What a perfectly great answer! My nutritionist also said they were ok, and I accepted her answer until I just read what you wrote. Thank you, I needed that. 

browneyes65
on 12/26/13 8:56 am - IN

Where are you having your surgery ?

Most Active
Recent Topics