Calcium - Must it be Chewable?

chatterpam
on 1/5/14 12:45 pm - PA

Hi - I was looking for some input as to whether we must do chewable/powdered calcium, of whether tablets would work...  I am 2.5 years out and tolerate pills well.  Thanks!  Pam

gbsinsatx
on 1/5/14 1:48 pm - San Antonio, TX

I take grocery store brand Calcium Citrate 

tablets daily:

Breakfast: 2-300mg tablets Calcium Citrate 

Lunch: 1-300mg tablet Calcium Citrate

Dinner: 2-300mg tablets Calcium Citrate

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/14 2:28 pm - OH

No, as long as it is calcium citrate, it can be in any form.  Many people start using the chewables when they are early out because the calcium pills tend to be so big.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 1/5/14 8:26 pm - OH

No.  None of your vitamins must be chewable.  B12 must be sublingual, nasal spray or injection.  All other vitamins, including calcium citrate, can be swallowed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/6/14 2:01 am

That's the only pills beside the big multi vitamin pills that get stuck almost every time.. I can take capsules. But even the petites - I get "stuck" feeling almost all the time. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PetHairMagnet
on 1/6/14 5:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I transitioned to calcium that I swallow in the past few months, I don't even recall exactly when. My husband still LOVES his chewables and will stick with them. I now only use chewable iron and as soon as this bottle is gone, I'll be on swallow iron, too. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 442 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views