Too normal?!

dessalves
on 1/7/14 7:19 pm

So I keep reading things like: I am x months post op, what were you eating by then? And That keeps bugging me because according to my NUT's plan I can eat everything. Sure there are different amounts of what I can eat but the only absolutely NOs are alcohol, soda, and condiments (for now, I am having my 6 months appointment and he will probably give me the ok for that as well). This makes me so paranoid because it feels too normal!! And the portion sizes are normal as well, not my old normal but the amount that people usually eat. I keep thinking that I am eating too much even if I am following my plan (and most days I don't even eat everything I could). Am I being paranoid? Do you guys have no restrictions as well this far out?

Lora R.
on 1/7/14 7:36 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

I am in the same boat as you (can eat everything, within reason).  Doesn't it feel funny to finally feel "normal"?  I think I still baby my pouch.  I see some of the stuff people are eating and think we can do that?  Follow your plan and your pouch.  What is good/right for one person is not for another.  Good Luck!

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

poet_kelly
on 1/7/14 7:49 pm - OH

No condiments?  Why not?

Most people are able to eat most things by six months post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 1/7/14 8:36 pm

He says that I am doing really well and had no problems so far so I should avoid condiments in order not to upset my pouch. The longer I wait less likely it will be for me to have problems. I am going to my six months appointment in 2 weeks, lets see if he will give me the ok for that. 

poet_kelly
on 1/7/14 8:44 pm - OH

Hmm.  That's the first time I heard that.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 1/7/14 8:53 pm

Well I don't know if he is right but so far waiting to eat things like he told me to is working. Maybe I would react the same way if I hadn't but so far I had no problems at all, no dumping, nothing. 

poet_kelly
on 1/7/14 8:58 pm - OH

Who knows?  Condiments would only cause dumping if they were high in sugar, though.  I'm not saying he's wrong.  It's just the first time I heard of someone being told to avoid condiments for six months.  Most people are using stuff like mayo in their tuna or egg salad, taco sauce on refried beans, etc. pretty early out.

Dcgirl
on 1/8/14 1:37 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hmmm I never asked about condiments but I am 3.5 weeks out and last night I had a MornigStar vegan griller patty with a slice of cheese and a tsp of mustard and a tsp of ketchup!  I have also had canned green chiles on grilled chicken, taco seasoning on 99% fat free turkey, and light mayo on hard-boiled eggs.  I never heard not to have these items.  I of course obsessively track them in MyFitnessPal and make sure I am within my personal goals (400-600 calories, 60-90g protein, less than 20g carbs) so I assumed they were ok.  Then again, I have a pouch of steel.  NOTHING has bothered it yet :(  Lean proteins and condiments are all I have had...

poet_kelly
on 1/8/14 1:39 am - OH

A lot of foods would be pretty bland and also dry without condiments.  And many condiments are not very high in fat or calories, especially if you only use a little.

Mary Catherine
on 1/7/14 7:52 pm

I still eat protein forward and avoid most carbs and starchy foods.  I never went back to rice, pasta, noodles or potatoes.  My meals are still some meat with some non-starchy vegetables, a salad with fat-free dressing, and no water for 30 minutes after eating. 

For me, going back to eating normal would mean going back to gaining weight.  Just because I have permission to eat everything, I know my body and stick to what works for me.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 163 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
Recent Topics