How accurate do you think your Fit Bit One is?

Dcgirl
on 1/19/14 10:56 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I just got mine a few days ago and I am OBSESSED!  I linked it to my MyFitnessPal account, and while I record my food and weight into MFP, my Fit Bit feeds my calories burned into MFP.  I have become obsessed with tracking my steps and activity!  It's really fun and motivating.  But I am curious if other people use it and find it accurate?

I walked 4.5 miles today (around the DC monuments) - which might not sound like much but it's pretty decent for a 320 lb person :)

Hope you've all had a great weekend!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/19/14 11:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have the FitBit One as well, and also have it linked to MyFitnessPal as well, for about a year and a half now. I freaked out last year when I put it through the washer and dryer and had to wait a week for a new one.

For things like walking, it is extremely accurate. Some activity can be way off. Dancing gives you way too many steps and calories burned. How you wear it is important too. On a bike, it will add nothing in a shirt pocket, be fairly accurate in a pants pocket, and give lots of extra calories if worn near your ankle.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dcgirl
on 1/19/14 11:34 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Wow congrats on reaching goal weight! I hope to reach the same weight and our surgery weights are almost the exact same :)

Thanks for the info about the Fitbit. I wear it clipped to my bra. Hopefully that's an accurate location. I am doing Zumba this week so I will keep your info in mind about dancing counting for too many calories :)

ChristineB
on 1/19/14 7:22 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

It is very accurate. My husband and I went and measured our strides and found out that we are just slightly less than what the unit uses for a person M or F of our ages is for us. We adjusted it and we get a more accurate measure. It ended up being a few inches less per stride. It is a great little motivator!

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

plum21
on 1/19/14 10:28 pm - Miami, FL

The steps are v. accurate. I'm obsessed with the stats from Fitbit. I walked 3150 miles last year.

Be careful though in thinking you can eat the calories you burned. I find that all fitness bands and apps way over rate calories burned. Do NOT eat the calories they say you've burned.

Love my fitbit.

chulbert
on 1/19/14 10:33 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It depends on what metric you're talking about.  Steps taken and stairs climbed?  Very accurate.  Calories burned?  Moderately accurate.  It's a calculation that makes a lot of assumptions just like everything else.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 481 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 481 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 69 views
Recent Topics