No More 3

hockeydad2013
on 1/24/14 12:06 am - Canada

I woke up this am at was 299.5, i was so happy I had surgery at oct 11, 2013 and when I started optifast was 389. If you remember i had terrible itching etc no sleep. I went to family DR twice said it was eczema a couple creams nothing ( started getting itchy and some welts middle of Nov) then got so bad went to emergency room on DEc 28th or 29th waited 4 hours and was told looks like Eczema and to take Benadryl. Had my appointment with dermetologist on Jan 16 and was told I have scabies. Only got the marks on hands a week before her appointment. I was given a cream to put from neck down on total body and was it off next day repeat in week. Did my second last night. I was washing sheets and towels everynight in Sanitize cycle, vac******* everyday as they could be on rug or floors.And put some clothes in garbage bag and in garage for two weeks ( -35 in Ottawa) and had to wash all clothes in hot and dry on hot. I am 6'3" so some of my clothes shrunk but I had no choice. If you read the scabies forums this are nasty little parasites that have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years so they don't go quietly.

Now here is the hard part. Where did I get them? my kids live with me every other week. They have no signs, no one at my work, my friends etc have it. I was dating someone befroe surgery but we broke up in mid December, and she has nothing ( the say usually sexually transmitted in adults) so where did I get it and it take about 2 or 5 weeks to show and start itching. Only place I was at that time frame was Ottawa Civic Hospital for surgery and the only other thing I can think of is the barber. I go every two weeks as I like short hair. My dad thinks the barber using the straight edge on my neck . They live right under the skin and if he didnt' cloean or change the blade after a person who had it , it would still be on his razor.

Everything else is great, I stopped going to gym as the bumps where horrible on my arms and like wearing short sleeves and shorts. After the first treatment you shouldn't be contagious. But have some bad habits starting to eat some crackers before bed in front of tv. Started with this beasts as I didnt' want togo bed for two months as it was beyond bad for itching.

all you newbies , this surgery is a god sent and make the most of it, we all can do it and good luck. I am 46 and lost 100 lbs twice before but this time it will stay off

Missella20
on 1/24/14 12:14 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Glad to hear you finally found the culprit! And congrats for No more 3s!  YAY for you!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Cunning_Pam
on 1/24/14 12:15 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Congratulations on your milestone!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

MrsLitch
on 1/24/14 1:36 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

ahh Scabies those nasty little parasites! My son got them a couple of  years ago and I got them from him. We still have no idea where he came in contact but I'd assume a friend's house he spent the night at. They are hard little buggers to get rid of permantly and we had another round of them about 3 months after the initial outbreak. The funny thing is, neither his brother or his father got them although we all live in the same house. I slept next to my husband in the same bed and he didn't get them either. After the second round I bought my son a new bed and left it in the plastic to prevent contamination if they came back another time. After 6 mo of all clear we took the plastic off and they have not returned.

Now as for where you got them? My first guess would be the hospital. I used to work as a CNA in a nursing home and they were all to common there. And they spread like wildfire usually. They are also found in hosptials, something you won't commonly hear from health professionals but one of the questions I was asked at the doctor was if my son had been in the hospital recently.

If you haven't already done so go to the local pharmacy and get a can of scabies spray it's usually around the lice products and spray down every conceivable surface in the home. Lift the couch cushions spray both sides spray under them etc. We did that the second time on top of the washing and sealing in plastic and finally got rid of them for good.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Melissa Nicely
on 1/25/14 10:55 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

Do you have or have you been in contact with any animals? If you have been around any animals that have had Mange then you have come in contact with the Scabies bug. It can be transmitted from just about any animal to human even if the animal isn't showing signs of having the Mange mite at the time.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views