Moving target

pathchic
on 1/27/14 10:10 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I had an epiphany this morning while stuck in traffic...

I spend valuable mental energy and time thinking about "when am I going to reach goal?".  Hmmm... if I continue losing at this rate will I be there by summer?  What if I slow down, can I get there by fall?  Halloween? Thanksgiving? Christmas?

But you know what - I AM AT GOAL.  Incorporating regular exercise - check.  Eating healthy - check. Climbing stairs - check. Reducing my risk of obesity related diseases - check.

Our goals can (and should) be moving targets.  I guess I never really got that before... at best I thought there were mini-goals that worked like a ladder leading to the "real" goal - but that's incorrect.  That mindset makes the other goals seem less important than the "ultimate" goal, and you know what?  They aren't.  In many ways they are MORE important.

And you know what else?  WE ARE ALL AT GOAL.  We are taking charge of our health, whether we are pre-ops waiting for approval, veterans who've maintained for like 10 years, or those who are getting back on the wagon after losing focus.  That's pretty freaking awesome, if you ask me.

Missella20
on 1/27/14 10:19 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Wow I have been thinking the same. I wonder when I will reach goal weight but then I don't worry about it because I have made a life change and it will come when it comes!   It is a good feeling....

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Kathiestephens55
on 1/27/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 01/07/14

How encouraging!!  Thanks for the perspective. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/14 10:51 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Take a look at a website called trendweight. If you input enough weigh-ins, it is pretty good at predicting a future weight curve, if you keep doing what you are supposed to. It worked well for me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MyLady Heidi
on 1/27/14 11:23 pm

Whatever works for you.  My goal was a specific weight.  It is and always will be that, but that is me and what I wanted from wls is probably different from what others wanted.  Everyone is an individual, there is no one size fits all surgery or loss or maintenance, you have to make peace with yourself.  Some people start exercising and enjoy it.  That isn't me.  I would rather never eat again then enter a gym.  But as I said that is just me.  Enjoy your ride.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/27/14 11:24 pm

I totally think like you did (i.e. mini-goal and "real goal").

Nice way to think about it. 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

blopez579
on 1/27/14 11:37 pm
RNY on 09/11/13

I'm glad you were stuck in traffic this morning, that is a great epiphany!  And those mini goals are more important..  Thanks for posting your traffic epiphany (mine are usually shower epiphanies).

selhard
on 1/27/14 11:42 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Each day I come on here to either learn something or to find something positive to keep me going in the right direction.  Thanks to you, today, it's both.  

karenp8
on 1/28/14 12:04 am - Brighton, IL

I love your posts! Thanks for sharing your deep thoughts with us!

Kenyatta W.
on 1/28/14 1:12 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

I have never thought of GOAL as exercising, eating healthier, and doing the things we weren't able to do before until I've read your post and you know what.... YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!

I often wonder when would I make it to goal and always associated goal with a  number on the scale. But I know will make my goal one of these months. I'm just grateful and blessed to have this chance to modify my life in a healthier manner.

Thanks so much for posting this!!! enlightened

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views